Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition switch?

Hello people I had a question in regards to my 91" Pontiac Firebird. When it comes to starting the car you have to turn it and you hear a clicking noise and then after doing it two or three times it starts right up, sometimes it does it within one turn and I had a question because I have already replaced the starter, does anyone think this is an ignition switch problem and is it pretty easy to repair myself ?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: Ignition switch?

Is the clicking coming from the start solenoid? Hows the condition of your battery and cables/connections?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Is the clicking coming from the start solenoid? Hows the condition of your battery and cables/connections?
I cannot tell where its coming from I know the starter was replaced last year and I know the battery is about 3-4 years old so it may need to be replaced.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Try to find out where the click comes from. Loud click from the starter? If it's the start solenoid, likely the batt + cables are having trouble supplying the required current to the starter. Ie batt on the way out, low charge, or corrosion/poor contact somewhere in the cables - pos or neg.

Or, I believe the vats cars have a start relay, could be that failing and clicking.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 PM

What are Vat cars? Would they be a lot to replace? to be honest with you I'm getting the car tomorrow I finish paying off the money for it and its mine. I'm a little scared and worried because it has problems I know of such as the door locks don't work because the owner removed the alarm system that he installed, the drivers window doesn't roll up and the front head light motors need replacing.. Was also confused about the motor because its a manual and its a V8 is this a ford motor in it?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Car: White 84 z28
Engine: Chevy 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Posi and?

Manuals could be with v8's, just 305's not 350's.

And headlights could just need rebuilt (easy), does it make noise like its trying to go up and they dont?

Curious why do you think its a ford motor?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Its a chevy motor its a V8 I got this confirmed when I went and took it to get an oil change, I have a list of parts I need to replace and have no clue where to go to get the best price for the parts, so far I know I need a:

Tune-Up
Windows Motors Driver and passenger
Door locks (When you hit them they make a click noise but nothing moves)
I need to bleed my brakes. brake lights on and I have to hit the brakes all the way to the floor as well as the clutch...
HEadlight motors
Trunk hydraulic lifts
Starter
Clutch (Scared to know how much this is going to cost to fix.)

People keep telling me to pull these parts off of old camaros and trans ams, but im not into using used parts because they aren't warrantied and it seems like they go out alot. Was also updated that the problem with my car not starting is the started again...so I'm a little confused to that as it was replace but since I have read a lot of topic on here about starters going out I'm not going to doubt it and more than likely just buy another one. I'm a big newbie people so please have patience with me and I Would learn to love how to work on my own car without breaking my pockets or my car LOL Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM

Ok Status Update, I had my battery replaced it was a lower rating at 67 then what was suppose to be in the car, this didn't solve it. I then got a tune up and replaced the wires and spark plugs as well as the stater and have not had any problems since then. Car is running like a beauty and I'm loving it, the spark plugs I had looked like they needed to be replaced and were aged and had stuff on the tips, they weren't burnt at all which is good but they were in need of replacement I changed them out with platinums and I have a much smoother engine it sounds sleep now LOL