Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

305 tbi slow start cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012 | 02:38 PM

Car: Electric Blue '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 5L V8
Transmission: 4 speed auto w/ overdrive
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt w/ 3.73 gearing
305 tbi slow start cold

Hello everybody! This is my first ever post here looking for a solution with my first 3rd Gen Camaro. I looked around a bit and saw a few threads with similar problems but nothing exact so I decided to make my own.

I have a '92 Camaro RS with a 305 5L V8 and a four speed automatic. The car is stock besides having been lowered a bit.

I have a problem with a slow start when the engine is cold. The problem occurs regardless of the exterior temp. Since I bought the car it's been in the upper 80's and lower 90's with a mid 70's day thrown in there every once in a while. The starter turns like it should but the engine takes five to ten seconds to catch. The cooler or more humid it is out the longer it takes. Once it does get going it might stumble for a brief second but then evens out and idles slightly high (between 1200 and 1500) but does come down once the engine reaches OT. Once it is warmed up, it will start quick and idle at what I am assuming is a normal range between 700 and 1000. It drives great regardless of how it starts.

When I turn the ignition to ON I can hear the fuel pump priming. The problem persists regardless of how many times I prime the fuel system before cranking it.

As far as I can tell the temp sensor works fine. At least the gauge reads correctly and the car has never overheated on me. I've even driven it a few hundred miles in one trip and had it idle in a couple traffic jams since I bought it a few weeks ago. No apparent problems there.

The previous owner gave me paperwork for a recent tune and replaced plugs, wires, and distributor cap. So that SHOULD be fine but there are always exceptions.

Since the colder it gets the worse the problem is I would like to get this problem sorted out before winter sets in since this car is my daily driver and I need it to start for me in the morning.

The second little hiccup I have is rough shifting. It klunks and lurches a lot when shifting between park, reverse, or drive and has a heavy shift while driving. The trans oil is full and not burnt. The shifts also soften up as the car warms up. Any suggestions for me there?

All tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2012 | 10:08 PM

Car: Electric Blue '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 5L V8
Transmission: 4 speed auto w/ overdrive
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt w/ 3.73 gearing
Re: 305 tbi slow start cold

Aww, no suggestions at all? Well that sucks...