Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Difference between Gm and aftermarket motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears
Difference between Gm and aftermarket motor mounts

Im getting a set of gm mounts part# 22188497, list is 142. My cost is 106. Now it seems anchor and dea are the only aftermarket brand motor mount replacements. Cost range from $6-$15 depending who you buy from. Why the big difference in price? I have heard stories of the anchor metal is thinner and the rubber not as stiff as the gm ones. I have poly and dont like them. Id rather go gm on this because its such a pita to change them. If it was a delco part I would stay away since most stuff I have gotten from them latley have china or something like that stamped on them but these motor mounts are gm #s, so I assume gm quality. Anyone run this route before in regards to motor mounts? Dont want to debate poly vs rubber just experience whith my situation. Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears
Re: Difference between Gm and aftermarket motor mounts

Im going to get a set of anchor mounts to measure the difference. I know the shell itself looks different. If you research the anchor brand you will find it is manufactured in china. Makes me wonder why so many get new mounts and say there ripped in less than a year or so. I guess you get what you pay for in this case. Im all done with the poly mounts. They raise the motor( super ram hits wiper motor) exhaust fits differently. And if used in conjuntion with a poly trans mount it raises this as well. Most people measure the poly to the gm or replacement motor and trans mounts. They may measure the same out of the veuicle with no weight on it, but when the weight is put back on the motor and tranny rubber mounts they compress, giving you that difference in height. Like my father always said" Nothing fits like stock". Hes gm certified over 30 years. Most aftermarket exhausts headers, strut braces were designed on stock vehicles using stock mounts. This where Im running into issues. Im definatly going to do a write up on this as soon as I get the mounts in from gm.