Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

86 firebird wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 firebird wont start

my friend has a 86 firebird with the 2.8 v6 auto matic trans. throttlebody injected motor. has 212k on it but was comepletly rebuilt at 160k. his son was driving it down the road when all of a sudden it just stop running. it wont restart but has fuel and spark. good alt and battery too. he used his buddies cheepie obd1 scanner it threw two codes. he cant remember what they were. but the book that came with it doesnt list the codes in it. any help would be great seeing as how i am looking to buy this from him. also the hanes manual is of no use so please dont say look in one for help. lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: 86 firebird wont start

Originally Posted by just82
my friend has a 86 firebird with the 2.8 v6 auto matic trans. throttlebody injected motor. has 212k on it but was comepletly rebuilt at 160k. his son was driving it down the road when all of a sudden it just stop running. it wont restart but has fuel and spark. good alt and battery too. he used his buddies cheepie obd1 scanner it threw two codes. he cant remember what they were. but the book that came with it doesnt list the codes in it. any help would be great seeing as how i am looking to buy this from him. also the hanes manual is of no use so please dont say look in one for help. lol.
What exactly is it doing? What are the codes? We'll need to know those to help more.

Is he sure it has spark? (if not, I'd try the module in the dizzy)

Has he checked fuel pressure? Can he hear the fuel pump running in the back of the car? With the key to "on" but not started, go to the back of the car to see if you can hear the pump running. Could be the pump died (it's in the fuel tank).