Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Proper ground wiring - quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:08 PM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: stock
Proper ground wiring - quick question

It's been a couple years since I've last ran my car, and I just threw a new engine in. Due to the timeframe, I've forgotten where some of the grounds go.

So far I have the firewall strap and two other grounds on the passenger side head and two additional loops on the back of the driver side head. I'm a little confused about the larger ground wires on each side of the car (with the tangs on the loops), I know they are supposed to go to the block, but is it OK to bolt them to the front of the accessory bracket, using the bolts that attach the bracket to the block? Perhaps they shim in between somehow, or have their own bolt?

Finally, where does the rad ground go?! I'm sure it could go to a few different places, but I'd like to put it back where it belongs.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012 | 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Proper ground wiring - quick question

Sounds like you got all the obscure ones people forget abut (back of the engine). Big negative battery cable you can run anwhere on the engine or front end accessories as long as it's got a good electrical connection to the rest of the engine. Radiator ground? Never heard of it. There is a ground that goes from the negative battery cable terminal head to the inner fender, though.

Remember the main thing about grounds is that the engine needs the big ground (negative batery cable) because it's the cirbuit path for the BIG electrical draw from the starter when you turn the key. Unfortunately, the engine does not ground well to the body of the car due to it and the transmission sitting on top of rubber mounts. So you need some other ground connections between the battery and the body and the engine and the body to be assured the entire metal body of the car can provide a good ground for the various electrical devices that rely on it. None of these secondary grounds are "high amp" circuits, however, since they are just powering things like the HVAC fan, stereo, lights, etc.
Old 07-26-2012 | 10:58 PM

Thanks for the info!

I have a little wire coming off the top of my rad. Still not sure where that one goes!

The big ground cable on the passenger side, I'm still not sure where to put it. The one on the driver side fits nicely on one of the power steering bracket bolts, however you really have to twist the passenger side one to get it to the same spot on the AC/tensioner bracket.
Old 07-28-2012 | 11:33 AM

I'm thinking it grounds to the starter area, it appears to have the length.