Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 camaro rs weird missing issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro rs coupe
Engine: 89 305 tbi ohv 5.0
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: normal
89 camaro rs weird missing issue

Hey guys its been a while since ive seeked advice from this site as i had not been driving my car to save gas.

Let me give you some history first, when i bought the car it had blown head gaskets and some ignition wiring problems, on my way home i turned off the heater and lost my brakelights, after i got it home and tried it again i lost all power to the ignition and had some wire smelting going on.

Since then it was taken to a mechanic whome i beleive did some good work on the wiring as he fixed the problem after giving him $ 3,000.00 in all to teach me how to do a stock rebuild and fix the wiring, and the heads i got it back.

I drove the camaro all through highschool and then parked it when i bought another car, previus to parking the car i had an odd miss that was bogging the car down in unison. i also found i had a battery draw after letting it sit for a few days and i went in and ripped out all of the wiring mess the previous owner had done and fixed all of what was "required to be on the car"

i no longer have battery draw problems and the car starts everytime i turn it over and runs fine with no problems other than the weird miss. The car is timed and has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc. The miss is hardly hearable in the engine compartment but at the end of the tail pipe sounds like a random missfire, this no longer boggs down the car either, its just a weird noise which im assuming is affecting my horsepower. i do have a aftermarket temp gauge plugged into the drivers side of the engine block where the old sensor used to be because of the fact that i could never get the gauge to work, ive heard that if this sensor goes out it can affect the way the car runs.

Also when i start the car up for the first 15 or so seconds there is smoke, its not oil, (not blue) and not super white either just really thick moisture and smells rich ( not too rich)

i plan on driving my car again hopefully this week and im thinking about replacing my distributor and my coil.

I have also replaced the idle air control valve and my injectors seem to be working properly.

Btw its a 1989 camaro rs 305 tbi ohv with a 700r4 trans

please help me as ive never been as passionate about a car as this one and it means alot to me because me and my dad worked on it together ALOT before he died last christmas eve and id like to drive it again.

thanks again guys.

p.s. i cant drive it until im sure its reliable as i just got a new job and cant afford to be late.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro rs coupe
Engine: 89 305 tbi ohv 5.0
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: normal
Re: 89 camaro rs weird missing issue

okay i have replaced the rotor and caqp today as my rotor was a little burnt up and the coil i replaced as well. it didnt start doing the weird miss today until; it was warmed up and im about to doublecheck all of my plug wires. the car started just fine this morning several times but now it only turns over....any advice would be appreciated, the last time thios happened i was getting power to the coil but the coil was fried so i replaced it with a new msd one today.

any advice would be great, thanks again guys.