Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Motors on its last leg.Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' White-Black Trans Am
Engine: Trying to find a motor
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Motors on its last leg.Help

Well you guys might have red my old thread about me accidentally putting kerosene in my new motor. Well the kerosene didnt just burn out. It messed up one of my cylinders. Before i had an open element breather and chrome valve covers but the motor smoked too bad so we switched to the old stock valve covers with the Pcv valves and the big breather.Well that got rid of about 80 percent of the smoke but it still does it bad. On top if that i went to go check out my fuel injectors one day so i take my Lid off the breather to find that the entire breather is full of oil. I cleaned it all up,drove a few miles,checked again. Full of a bunch of oil to wear you could practically swim in it. Last night i checked and now my throttle body as well as the injectors are filled with oil. To get work done to my car would cost way too much. Im only 17 and i cant afford that. I could do a new piston but the problem is i have the LO5 with the stupid flat top pistons. So i would HAVE to get a new piston out of a roadmaster most likely. We found that its either the number 6 or the number 8 cylinder. We did a compression test and they checked good but we couldnt do the 6 or 8 because i have headers and the stupid bit is a weird angle. Can anyone help? Maybe even meet up and we could get the car fixed. This car has over 7 grand in work done to it. Thank you guys
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Re: Motors on its last leg.Help

Im thinking another motor swap.. which would suck cause it took us almost a year to get this one running right. The car runs perfect! Idles great,bunch of new parts,great motor.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC Z, 92 RS
Engine: 305 4bbl, 305 TBI

Originally Posted by 88TransAmGuy
Im thinking another motor swap.. which would suck cause it took us almost a year to get this one running right. The car runs perfect! Idles great,bunch of new parts,great motor.
So you got all the kerosene out of the engine and it runs good now?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Yes we drained all the oil and gas and changed thE filters and it runs great. But now the blow by is getting so bad that the breather is filled with oil
And it's starting to get into the throttle body
Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC Z, 92 RS
Engine: 305 4bbl, 305 TBI

Maybe you could replace the pcv with a chrome breather and not allow blow by in the throttle body.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 AM

I already had that. I had a chrome edelbrock breather with the chrome valve covers but we put the stock system on because it smokes SOOO bad. Its embarassing haha
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 AM

Well i think im just gonna do another swap. But until then i was wondering if theres any system i could make that would recirculate the oil back into the motor? I dont really want to hack up the motor though so is there anyway i could make sort of a wall halfway around the TB? Sort of like this,just to keep some of the oil out. Sheet metal or so. And also short enough to wear i could put the lid over it. I made a Prototype out of cardboard just forgot to take a pic

Heres a poorly drawn image i made. NOT MY BREATHER
Attached Thumbnails Motors on its last leg.Help-_oldcleanerbaselh.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Little confused here, that's an air cleaner, not a breather. I was trying to figure out how you were getting oil into a breather. Are you mixing up the terms?

Oil can certainly get sucked into an air cleaner if it's hooked up as the make-up air source for the pcv system, rather than using a seperate breather in the vc, and the pcv system is not working correctly.

If you have that much oil in the air cleaner that you could 'swim though' after only a few miles, it's not blow-by. Sounds like bad pcv valve, or there is no oil baffle in one of the valve covers under the pcv or breather/inlet air fittings, and it's just sucking up oil like a straw.

I know nothing of the stock TBI setup - do you have a hose coming from each vc - one plain hose to the air cleaner, and one pcv valve + hose to the intake somewhere below the tb? Which one is full of oil?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM

There is a air tube coming from the passenger side valve cover to the air cleaner housing. The breather element inside the housing gets soaked in oil and I get about 1/2 inch of oil in the air cleaner housing. The air filter is of course covered in oil and now its getting sucked into the throttle body. We originally had a push in style breather but it was dripping oil onto the headers and had a lot of smoke coming out of it so we decided to go back to the original setup. I was only able to check 6 of the cylinders with a gauge and they all check good? But without removing the headers I can't check the last two, there's just no room. All the spark plugs look fine though? I thought at least 1 would look bad. I'm stumped.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

sounds more like a pvc problem to me, does the car RUN fine now? any smoke out the exhausts?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Ah, I get your breather setup now. If the pcv valve is connected between the other vc and the intake/plenum where it should be, make-up air should be sucked from the breather in the air cleaner, not the other way around.

Sounds like pcv valve is blocked, hooked to the wrong port on the exit side, or massive blow-by is overwhelming the system. That's a huge amount of oil to get sucked through that quickly.

Can you feel vacuum at the pcv valve? Maybe you can get those last 2 cylinder's compression checked by going from under the car?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:17 PM

There is suction at the pcv valve I have checked that. The two cylinders I couldn't check are behind the header tube with about a 1/2 inch of clearance and my gauge needs at least 1 inch or more. There is no smoke from the exhaust at all? At this point I think it would be easier to just pull the motor than to try to remove the headers.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM

I'm really hoping that by some miracle its the valves and not the rings. I know that's probably not the case but I can dream right?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

well im to a point where im 99 percent sure im going to sell. The reason being that we took it to the machine shop and after it was checked over to see what was needed, the shop said 1200 dollars to do it. Im not going to list off what it needs because im not in the mood right now. I love my car to death, it means everything to me..But after thinking. The car has 8 grand into it and ive had it for 3 years. Ive only put 8000 miles on it and its only been functional for 6 months out of those years.Ive had this 500 dollar Marquis with 300,000 miles for 4 months,have put NO money into it,and have driven 6 thousand. So my assumption: thirdgens are all, And i mean this in the most thoughtful way, pieces of ****. I feel theres not much need to look for another motor.After thats in, then its the tranny, the rear end(Broken gear) all new tires, a new master cylinder, a new heater core, The list goes forever. SO im to a screw off point. Im 18 years old and make 120 on a paycheck. Screw this AWESOME FAST CAR SPORTS CAR YEAH thing. Sorry guys.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You put kerosene in your motor and that makes you assume third gens are pieces of ****? $120 a paycheck... ouch. I'd ditch the car. Any old car is going to eventually need the wear parts replaced and not being able to afford those parts makes the list add up rather quickly.

You have to expect issues with any used "sports" car. The norm for these cars is a life of abuse. Usually any project I plan on keeping I redo pretty much everything that causes issues on higher mileage vehicles. For example, I just picked up a 1994 C1500 5 speed with 240k miles on it and I put about a grand into it in parts that are bad or will soon go bad (ball joints, tie rods/sleeves, idler and pitman arm, wheel bearings, u-joint, brake lines, fuel lines/filter, bushings; not to mention trans gets looked over, new clutch & flywheel, prime and paint the frame, etc). I like feeling confident that my high mileage toy is safe and reliable.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Car: 1984 TA - 17k orig miles
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.44 Dana 44 performance rear

You ran kero through the engine long enough to cook the rings and sore/wear the cylinder walls and thus you're getting a LOT of blowby which is causing the symptoms you're having...

last ditch effort to reduce the smoking:

Run valvoline 20W50 "racing" motor oil (or the straight 40 or 50 weight), make an oil breather "catch can" (look it up - you run the hose from the valve cover into the mid-point of a can, then through a filter/steel wool pack to catch vapors and suck 'oil free' blowby off the top of the can)

Also - try some of the 'engine restore' stuff that's supposed to fill scratches in cylinder walls - don't know if it'll help but heck it's a last ditch effort anyhow. The true fix you know is an engine rebuild...
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 AM

Car: 1992 camaro rs
Engine: 92 350ci carbed
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: Stock 10 bolt 2:73 gears 😭

You should pick up a 305, people throw away good running 305s all the time. Drop it in and fix your motor at your own pace.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Supreme Member

Did you reuse the stock valve covers with the metal baffles in place? That much oil really shouldnt be getting though that tube if there is a metal baffle in the valve cover.