Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Some smoke after changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some smoke after changing plugs

Hey guys - I just changed my spark plugs. Used standard plugs...which ended up being about 1/4" longer on the ceramic side than the ones that used to be in there.

The first time I started it, I could see the rubber from one spark plug wire starting to bubble after only a minute because it was too close to the exhaust (yes...I will replace it). As a temporary fix, some of my other wires had this orange heat sleeve around them already. So I cut a small piece (like new) from those and fit it over this one (which is what I'm showing in this pic). When I started the car again and let it run for a while, I could see white smoke coming from where the exhaust was touching this orange sleeve. Also the wire itself was so hot I could barely touch it.

Should I be concerned about this white smoke? How about the extremely heated wire? Is it common for this smoke to happen when the orange sleeves 1st touch the exhaust? Does it eventually go away?

Trying to avoid something hazardous here...so any help / experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WC t5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Some smoke after changing plugs

I don't think the heat sleeve is supposed to sit right on the header, it can be close but not be touching. You should be concerned about the smoke (unless its a old engine that sat/other things that are burning off, like you spilt some anti freeze), you do not want a engine fire, it pretty much totals the car. Use zips ties for now to keep it away. But try to find the right combination 90* or 180* boots to aid in not touching, can be tricky but dooable. In addition, you may have to resort into making your own spark plug wires, I've done this a couple times, you will need some specialty tools(came in a kit for me) and will be more expensive, but it will make it work. Hope this helps. Good luck!

EDIT - can you get more shots of the headers/spark plugs, maybe a second eye can provide an alternative route.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Krazy. I tried the zip-tie thing and just couldn't find a good way to pull the wire away from the header. I like your idea of the custom ones, but would use that only as a last resort given my "limited" skills in custom work. I didn't realize they made 180* wires though. Will definitely look into that! Also I found some titanium boot covers online that I think will help a lot. Ordered them today: http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010542-Tit...ark+plug+boots
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WC t5
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by joef2002
Thanks for the reply Krazy. I tried the zip-tie thing and just couldn't find a good way to pull the wire away from the header. I like your idea of the custom ones, but would use that only as a last resort given my "limited" skills in custom work. I didn't realize they made 180* wires though. Will definitely look into that! Also I found some titanium boot covers online that I think will help a lot. Ordered them today: http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010542-Tit...ark+plug+boots
I know what you're saying about the custom ones, gets expensive. But those titanium ones look like they can handle some more heat. Good luck!

Last edited by KrazyFirst; 06-25-2012 at 09:46 PM.