Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Whine, whistling, turbo sound???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 305 (350 vortec in dec.)
Transmission: Wc-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 (3.42 in dec.)
Whine, whistling, turbo sound???

I have had my camaro for a year or so... It turns out to be a salvage rebuild... The title was not a nc title it was a Texas title, so as it comes back to nc it has to be posted on the title as salvage rebuild. Anyways, it has bad valves seals and runs bad, well boggy. When you gun it, there's no get up and go. My 92 was exactlythe same setup.... T5, 308's, 305 tbi.... And it was a beast, very quick. Well someone welded the muffler on backwards, po.... And when I removed it I was getting the same "bogginess", so I checked the cat... The insides were busted and clogging the exaust exit... So I gutted it, just took it out for a spin and punched it, I get this loud whine, like a turbo spoiling up, through all gears, the rpm range on my AFTERMARKET tach shoot up to almost 6000 rpms, it screams.... Car is still "weak", but I have this sound I can't make out, any ideas? Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Whine, whistling, turbo sound???

So.... you are running a gutted cat with no muffler? And it still runs weak?

Hard to say why it might be whsitling. Usually exhaust whistling is indicative of a restriction. Not much left to be restrictive, though. Did you gut BOTH bricks in the cat? Obviously, you got the rear one. Maybe the front one is plugged up as well? Is one of the pipes kinked-up?

A truly hollowed-out cat sounds more like a hollow "rushing" sound, especially with a muffler behind it. Not very pleasing, but not a whistling sound, either.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 305 (350 vortec in dec.)
Transmission: Wc-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 (3.42 in dec.)
Re: Whine, whistling, turbo sound???

It def has more power, just not as much as my 92 with the same setup. I gutted the whole cat, front and back... No muffler. Sounds nice actually and when driving normal, as in daily driving, sounds nice runs nice.... But I punched it to see if it had more get up and go, now that its not all blocked up and I get this turbo-ish sound... And it's loud. The only thing I have done to the car, I have mentioned. I don't believe it was doing it before the gutting, although... I reved it once while the full exaust was on and it did make a whine, scared me... So I never did it again, but this is much louder than that.