Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Vacuum line help... can't find the location to where they go

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012 | 11:29 AM

Car: 1985 Z28
Vacuum line help... can't find the location to where they go

Hey folks... After purchasing my 1985 Z28 last fall and putting it in storage, the past few weeks have been the first real test of the car. The car has a swapped 350 that was a cleaned up 1969 block. The carb is a holley 1850 manual choke and the car runs very well. The only problem I am having was a high idle. It will not drop below 900 RPM when warm. I checked the throttle cable, idle curb screw (which is all the way out) and then played with the idle mixture screws (the idle would not change, just hesitate after a certain point). Choke is working very well, but with these conditions I rarely need to use it on a cold start.

Then I checked the vacuum lines which I should have done first. Here is what I came up with, 2 stray lines! One is torn, and one is looks just it might have just popped off a nipple. I have checked a few diagrams, but its hard for me to understand if it applies to my vehicle... the hoses do not have anything in sight to attach to! I am going to be home tonight... I want to at least try the carb cleaner test to kill my curiosity on the idle. Also, the PCV valve is very noisy at idle. Here are a few pictures with some MS paint to help..

Thanks for any help.... this is my first small block and Im still doing lots and lots of reading to understand how it works!
Old 05-26-2012 | 12:43 PM

Car: TOO MANY
Engine: 350 TPI / 350 TBI/6.0L VORTEC
Transmission: T5/AUTO/AUTO
Re: Vacuum line help... can't find the location to where they go

the hoses are coming out of the charcoal canister...this should give u an idea

Old 05-26-2012 | 12:50 PM

Car: TOO MANY
Engine: 350 TPI / 350 TBI/6.0L VORTEC
Transmission: T5/AUTO/AUTO

Old 05-26-2012 | 01:19 PM

Car: 1985 Z28

ahh thank you.... I guess they are OK to leave unconnected. The line from my PCV valve to my carb is a straight line so I guess somebody decided at some point to bypass it. A little disappointing then since its not the cause of my high idle.