Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

OH MAN PLZ HELP 86 IROC SES LIGHT :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH MAN PLZ HELP 86 IROC SES LIGHT :(

Had the camaro (86 5.o v8 AUTO) out a few weeks ago for a bit rip,which it hadn't had for literally a year or so!! all was fine till heading home and the srvice eng light flickered, as it did the engine seemed 2 choke/lose power and it felt like it wanted 2 die, this was at about 10mph, then it cut out, started up 1st time and got me home which was less than a mile away thankfully, kind of kangarood all way home with light flashing intermittantly.
did a error code check following night after leaving it to sit and showed up no codes and ran fine the other 2 times i had it out, however i took it out yesterday and gave it one boot on the way home an it started it's crap again, i pulled over an turned it off for a few mins but was still same all way home, then when got in would'nt hold a rev, ...was a bit spluttery, would say a misfire but is kinda hard to tell? too me anyway, cuts out if not on the gas, ok ive now had it up 2 a tuning clinic and it went haywire on the diagnostics they think it cud be the ECM or a break in the wires to the ECM ive also been told it cud be vacume leak, MAF sensor Coolant temp sensor, oil pump!? i must add tho, its completely intermittant, always runs perfect cold then once it starts to heat the SES light will flicker then it revs its self then drops and runs lumpy then randomly revs again, altho on way home from tunic clinic trip aprrox 15 miles it ran terrible till i got onto bypass(high way over there ) and then ran perfect all way till i got to my street?? i so dont know where to begin, any suggestions wud be appreciated, thanx
Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: OH MAN PLZ HELP 86 IROC SES LIGHT :(

Is it Carbed or Fuel Injected? You said "litterally in a year or so", does that mean it sat for a year?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Hey thanx for reply it's inj. TPi and sorry I meant it hadn't been driven hard in a long time,it's my 'other car' so gets used mainly at weekends or for short runs.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z and 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 V8 and 5.0 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by amyz28
Hey thanx for reply it's inj. TPi and sorry I meant it hadn't been driven hard in a long time,it's my 'other car' so gets used mainly at weekends or for short runs.
Well if it was that it had not been driven in a long time then I would say bad gas. I had it happen where my car would idle funky where it would bounce from like 500-1500 RPMs then it would die. Then upon start up it would idle at about 300RPM. But then I just shut it off and let it sit and then when I would start it it would run like nothing ever happened. So if that were the case I would just start with fresh gas.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM

I say it is either bad gas or a vacuum leak. Gas that sits long enough and is exposed to the air collects moisture and such, so if it really sat that long you should take out the old gas and put in some fresh stuff. If it continues from there I would suspect a vacuum leak above all else.

While the car is in open loop sometimes it can keep it self alive, but then once it warms up, the leak gets bad enough or it can't compensate. If it drives fine and just simply can't idle that is your best bet. Or maybe an intake manifold gasket.

If you can't see or hear an apparent crack in any vacuum line you may need it smoke tested. what they do is pressurize inert gas (nitrogen) into the system, if there is a leak, it will come out as a white smoke somewhere and it has a distinct smell to it to. Or they use a vacuum pump and make sure things that should hold vacuum, are holding vacuum.

As for the intake manifold, you could test that yourself kind of by spraying carb cleaner around it while it is idling rough. If there is a hole, and you hit it the idle will jump up really fast then drop back down. Then there is your answer.

Last edited by mike0brien; 03-16-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 AM

Hey just n update on this bitch of a car..did egr test ran same? put it in 4 MOT and garage cancelled half way thru due to it needing "so much welding" had it all welded up yesterday and wasnt tht bad at all so when i called garage to say i...ts been welded they pipe up "oh we forgot to tell u, its ur head gasket"!! So, had a friend out to replace thermostat and CTS ran perfect (for a while) not over heating what so ever and no water leaksm no oil in water vice a versa?? which makes me think not headgasket?? still to do a proper pressure test. so still have the 02 sensor and plugs to put on But now when starting it and heres the thing that hopefully someone can identify as prob 'light flashes almost like theres a break in the wire to the dash light say 2 slow flashes 3 fast 1 half a flash then just pure randomness basically and when it flashes theres a kinda clicking noise coming from very top of engine just where it says tpi on block, still not reading a proper flash code....is it my ECM