Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Mid-drive, everything died.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 RS
Engine: V6
Transmission: T-5
Mid-drive, everything died.

So i was driving along and suddenly the power steering dies along with the engine. It wont start now and its parked at a friends house. What could the possible things wrong with it that I could look for? Really stressed about this so thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mid-drive, everything died.

Did the car act up before it died: like lights going on and off or running rough?

My alternator went out on me while I was drivin it last year, and it just died after acting up for a few seconds.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

The power steering died because the engine turns the pump and the engine died. It isn't a separate issue.

First order of business is to determine why the engine died.

Assuming it's not out of gas:

Is anything else electrical dead? If so, suspect one of the fusible links, down by the starter. If one of those has died, you can get new ones hanging on cards at about any parts store, even AutoZone and Advance and O'Reillys and such.

If everything else electrical is still working, then it's not one of those, but more likely something about the ignition. However I haven't the vaguest foggiest dimmest hint of a whiff of a glimpse of a clue what to look for specifically, since you're talking about a 6-cyl, and I've never even seen one of those; but I'd guess, if I was the guessing kind, that it's either the rotor, or the module (that is, if one of those, has those parts... I don't really know).

In any case, start with the basics. See my signature for a helpful mental discipline that will guide you in the right direction and hopefully keep you out of black magic and alien abduction and "maybe it's this maybe it's that" type of non-explanations, and on the straight and narrow path leading straight toward the defective part instead.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

I would definitely investigate the ignition module. Certainly the v6 must have one right?