Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Wiring Harness Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012 | 08:44 AM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Wiring Harness Questions

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, not sure where else to post...

I'm swapping out my 305 TPI for a 383 with HSR. My car is a 1985 Camaro, I've already purchased a MAP ECM and wiring harness from a '90 - '92 and will get a chip once the build is done. I've got the engine and transmission out and am in the process of cleaning everything up which leads to a couple of questions:

1) Since I'm replacing the harness, the old one has to go away. But...does everything contained in that go away? Or are their some wires I'm still going to need? I unplugged the main connector (near the power brake booster), but there are a ton of wires that run across the fire wall, into the fender and (I think) back into the car. Do I need to open up this harness and separate those wires and get rid of the rest? Trying to keep this clean without cutting or removing something I'm going to need.

2) There is a second harness that comes out of the firewall, pretty much in the middle of the car. I think these wires and vacuum tube are all for the AC, which I got rid of. Can this harness be fully removed?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-26-2012 | 09:38 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Wiring Harness Questions

Those 2 harnesses are ALOT different...

I'd suggest starting out with the service manuals for both years, and go from there.

Yes in the 85 the wires that go into the fender on the pass side, are the ones connected with the ECM. They pass through the windshield cowl and into the interior of the car just above the pass side kick panel; there's a thing that resembles a connector over there, but isn't one, that you can remove by sliding the U-shaped retainer off of it, at which time THE WHOLE HARNESS comes right out of the car INTACT AND UNDAMAGED - no dykes required WHATSOEVER.

The ones that go to the bulkhead connector has the wires that work "the car"... gauges, lights, ignition switch, and so on. You'll probably want to leave that one COMPLETELY alone.

Yes the small harness that passes through the firewall is the HVAC. If the AC is already hacked off of the car and the car isruined to that extent, then no you don't eed it any more; and like the ECM harness, it can be removed INTACT and WITHOUT CUTTING ANYTHING by uplugging it from the back of the control head, so that when good sense returns and you decide to put the AC back, you'll still have all the parts intact and undamaged. Again, NO DYKES REQUIRED.

Did I mention the benefits of NOT CUTTING WIRES but instead tracing them back to their source, unplugging, and reoving INTACT? Much better program than hacking them up, all the way around.