Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help picking crate motor. Need your input. Please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Need help picking crate motor. Need your input. Please.

So i started looking at crate engines, i will be going crate this time around simply because i dont feel like dealing with machinist or bad combinations from builders.

i have two engines im looking at at the moment.

The Gmp l31 vortec crate motor rated at 255hp?

and

The year one vortec motor rated at 400hp

The block i choose must be a roller block, i really dont feel like dealing with eating a lobe or any of the earlier block issues so i completely ruled out the jegs 1400$ crate motor.

===========================

::Thoughts on Year one Crate::

In my eyes i see the year one motor as a much better deal the only problem i have with it is that i believe it will start breaking everything on my car with that ammount of power.

My car is a stock LG4, with a 700r4 with a shift kit and a stock 10 bolt so u can see why i would worry.

I like the fact that the motor is complete with an intake and the big plus for me is the mechanical fuel pump provision. My car being an 86 is equipped with a mech pump and it would save me about 400 bucks if i wer to go with this crate.Not only that but i also wouldnt need an intake so thats another saved 250$. so in reality the l31 motor from gm would add up to about 2500+ compared to year ones 3k motor.

Total cost about 3k-$3200 with about 330hp to the wheels maybe? but with higher risk of breaking things.

::Thoughts on GMP l31 crate motor::

Now for this block i would need an intake, i would most likely go with an edelbrock rpm air gap intake. I do plan on keeping the car carburated.

I would also need to do an electric fuel pump conversion since the motor is not offered with mechanical fuel pump provision.

The car would also end up pretty much with a stock vortec 350 and would require a cam swap and possibly headwork down the line for any real performance. My guess would be that after my exhaust intake and carb i would end up with about 220-250 hp at the wheels?

Total Cost: crate 2000$+$300 fuel pump conversion+ $250 intake about $2500
====

I know its a lot to digest but what route do u guys think i should go? and why? really im looking for about 350 hp to the wheels, car is pretty much my daily driver and will see the occasional track weekend.

Is there any other crates that i should look at that maybe i missed? like i said id like to keep it a roller block and mech pump provisions are a plus.

I appreciate any info/input on this thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 camaro rs
Engine: 5.0L 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Need help picking crate motor. Need your input. Please.

I would go with the year one of the two, reasoning, all the work is done and some companies even carry a warranty. You could just drop it in and go straight into beefing up suspension, rear end, tranny, etc. I wouldnt wana get a crate motor just to be bored with it after a month and have to start taking it apart to upgrade as you will with the l31. This is the motor i plan on getting after my deployment next year and it comes with a 30 month or 50,000 mile warranty. http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...83-bp38313ctc1
Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: Need help picking crate motor. Need your input. Please.

Ok, some food for thought here. ....keep in mind I have no idea what kind of motor the year1 motor is other than what you've mentioned. First, since it does have the mechanical fuel pump provision, it tells me it's NOT a GM L31 block. That's fine, but then what IS it?? ...the GM L31 is a NEW, 1pc. RMS 4 bolt main block, nodular crank, hyper pistons, PM rods etc. etc. GREAT short block!!!!! It's the shortblock I'm going to use for my build. Now, I'm not saying the Year1 isn't just as good if not better, but be sure you're talking apples to apples. All the go fast parts in the world are only as good as the block and rotating assembly.