Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help!!! Need advice on phantom oil leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans-Am
Engine: 5.0 Liter V-8 4BBL Engine (LG4)
Transmission: Automatic 4 SPD 700R4 Transmission
Axle/Gears: Axel Rear, 2.73 Ratio (GU2)
Help!!! Need advice on phantom oil leak!!!

I own a 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS, Stock 305 TBI Engine, Standard Automatic Transmission, Stock Pipes, pretty much everything is stock except for an aftermarket breather (I got rid of that engine smothering pancake). Shortly after I purchased the vehicle, I noticed each morning while pulling out of the driveway there would be a small patch of oil (bout the size of a quarter) where the car had sat after being parked. I as well began to notice a major fluctuation in oil presure specifically after the engine warmed up, it would drive a few miles with the oil pressure gauge showing 50 PSI then after warming up and I come to a stop would peg out to 0 PSI then when accelerating back to normal would go to 30 PSI or so, This bothered me some kinda bad since I owned a Firebird that did the same (it had a rear main seal leak) so I naturally investigated, I jacked up the vehicle and low and behold I found oil drenching the entire underside of the car, from oil pan all the way back to cross member and I feared the worse (RMS Leak) I then noticed that there was an unusural amount of oil around my oil sending unit, so I removed the OSU and to my surprise it had oil drenching not only the OSU its self but also the plug and socket, so I replaced the OSU cleaned up the mess and was back on the road. Here is the problem... the damn car still leaks oil! The gauge reads fine (60 PSI then 10 PSI at idle after warming up) the car even runs cooler, but the leak continues, I don't know where to begin or how to figure out this issue! I noticed today during further investigation that there is oil running all down the back and side of the block, maybe a valve cover? but how the hell is oil everywhere underneath? I removed the bell housing shroud today and the inside was covered in oil, but get this the torque converter and fly wheel were dry as a bone, no oil what so ever!!! I am ripping my hair out, someone please offer some insight! It would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Mustang_Slayer; 02-02-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Help!!! Need advice on phantom oil leak!!!

Steam clean it, add so UV dye to the oil, run it, then look at it w/ a UV light.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is a torque converter doing in a car with a manual transmission?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
what is a torque converter doing in a car with a manual transmission?
Because I screwed up lol it is a automatic not manual sorry for the error I'm correcting it now, thanks for catching that!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
Steam clean it, add so UV dye to the oil, run it, then look at it w/ a UV light.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM

I am thinking it is leaking from the valve covers since it is slick all down the side of the block, ever since I replaced the oil sending unit, the drips have slowed considerably and my gauge reads correct, so I am thinking either valve covers or maybe even a small leak from the intake gasket maybe? Working on it today so I'll post back if I figure it out.