Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Minor rough idle - something more?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minor rough idle - something more?

gang - 88 TPI; to my dismay I haven't driven Mt GTA much this year. When I do, it runs like a champ. Starts right up, no issues while cruisin. Occasionally though, he's idled a bit ''rough'. When I initially start it up, the car seems to run fine. After sitting in the driveway warming up a few minutes it sometimes does a very minor surge....like it almost wants to stall but doesn't. The surge doesn't last more than a minute or two, and eventually goes away...usually never coming back again during that ride.

Sometimes when I come to a light or stop sign, and let my foot of the brake to get moving, the car will again do that minor surge where the engine comes somewhat close to stalling. But even this is very random, and almost never happens.

And again let me stress - this "surge" that I'm describing is extremely minor. I don't need to press hard on the gas pedal to get rid of it, and it usually corrects itself if I just sit there. It's only happened on a few occasions the past 2 months, and when it does happen, the car never officially stalls. But it's almost like it's the early stages of symptoms that will worsen over time, and I'm wondering what it could be. Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88' IROCZ
Engine: 388 TPI Motown 350 Race block
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: Minor rough idle - something more?

You could data log using ECM programs like Tuner Pro, Or Tuner Cat, but anything faster than their data sample rate will be lost, but the good thing is you can data log while driving.
You say during warm up it can last up to 2 minutes and that it does happen sometimes during stops so you should be able to catch it.
FYI
The data logger sample rate is divided among the number of systems you attempt to log.
If you log just 1 system you get about 10 sample per second, versus 2 samples for 5 systems per second.