Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Clanking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro, Holley 600 series.
Engine: 350 w/350 TPI heads
Transmission: 90+ 700R4
Axle/Gears: not sure
Clanking noise

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 1988 Iroc Z28. I noticed a clanking (sounded like it was coming from the engine) He said it was the exhaust because his mechanic backed into something. The exhaust is really bent and I was wandering if some screws in the exhaust could have came loose or something due to this. It gets faster when I take it out of park and put it into drive but its not in a steady beat. It sounds like what I just described up there.

Here are the symptoms of my car & I would like to know if this could all be cause by an exhaust manifold falling off.

So I put engine coolant in (Full Cold) a couple days ago and I ran it id say 4-5 times a day from 5-15 mins would the manifold being messed up cause this to almost completely drain. (because its not exhausting the heat properly and the engine is heating up faster)?

When I let it sit it also seems like its about to stop kind of like it loosing power but still running strong could this be caused by that too?

It sounds like its coming from underneath towards the area of the area of the manifold but I cant be completely sure until I get it jacked up or on a lift.

Any input or tips on how I can make sure this is what it is without actually taking it all apart to look in there. Or any input on what this clinking could be would be appreciated.

I understand that if its my manifold im going to have to take it apart anyway but Im saying like a test to see if that's what it is so then I know what im going in to do. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Re: Clanking noise

Its an LT1 engine if that helps. I just started it up again and it was cutting out kind of hard not enough to stall but sounding like it. I will really appreciate any help that is given.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM

If you're new to auto mechanics, then you need a friend who knows. Start with the regional boards.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Engine coolant has nothing to do with an exhaust manifold - so no correlation there.

If you filled the overflow tank, and it emptied when hot and didn't refill when cold, then your engine needed more coolant added - pop the rad cap off and fill the radiator directly, then top off the overflow tank. Coolant is sucked into the system from the overflow tank as needed, and returns to overflow when not.

There's nothing I can think of that coorelates between the motor running poorly and the exhaust system at all, except a clogged cat converter. So your running rough issue has nothing to do with any exhaust clanking issues.

Get the exhaust system buttoned up, get the cooling system properly filled, then get car to parts store to get any engine codes pulled for free and go from there.

I'm not sure how an exhaust manifold getting dropped could be an issue for anything unless it was dropped hard enough to crack it - and then you'd simply have an exhaust leak - exhaust manifold has nothing at all to do with the engine running or cooling system.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
Engine coolant has nothing to do with an exhaust manifold - so no correlation there.

If you filled the overflow tank, and it emptied when hot and didn't refill when cold, then your engine needed more coolant added - pop the rad cap off and fill the radiator directly, then top off the overflow tank. Coolant is sucked into the system from the overflow tank as needed, and returns to overflow when not.

There's nothing I can think of that coorelates between the motor running poorly and the exhaust system at all, except a clogged cat converter. So your running rough issue has nothing to do with any exhaust clanking issues.

Get the exhaust system buttoned up, get the cooling system properly filled, then get car to parts store to get any engine codes pulled for free and go from there.

I'm not sure how an exhaust manifold getting dropped could be an issue for anything unless it was dropped hard enough to crack it - and then you'd simply have an exhaust leak - exhaust manifold has nothing at all to do with the engine running or cooling system.
Thanks for the info... The exhaust was not dropped. Some one backed into something and they pushed it back and to the left. Its bent pretty bad. How do I get the engine codes myself? I was reading somewhere how to do it but I don't think they were explaining it for my car.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

You can buy a OBD2 reader to check, assuming the LT1 swap involved installing the OBD2 diag port - nothing on OBD2 that can be retreived with the paperclip like we can on our OBD1 cars (ie, LT1 is an OBD2 system, 3rd gens had OBD1 systems).

Why would anyone install a motor with a screwed up exhaust manifold? And how would an exhaust manifold get bent without breaking? Are you sure we're talking about an exhaust manifold here? It's connected directly to the motor ... Looks like this kinda http://www.tacreationsusa.com/images...s/dsc00693.JPG
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Im pretty sure im talking about the manifold.... Im talking about maybe when the mechanic backed up and bent the exhaust he jammed it all the way up to where it connects to the engine. Maybe something snapped up there upon impact or something I dont know Im just getting suggestions. I had someone look at it and he said he thinks its a blown head gasket so I'm going to do a compression check tomorrow and see if that is my issue. I just didn't think it would be that because there was no water/smoke coming from my exhaust I really cant tell if my engine is over heating because the temp sensor is snapped in half need to buy a new one. The car starts up strong and runs fine but when it sits there it just kind of sputters ever now and then so... Running strong running strong sputter.. loose some power... then goes back up sputter sputter. The clanking gets either faster or stronger when put into drive.