Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

stuck key tactics

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stuck key tactics

hey guys, my key in my 86 z28 got stuck yesterday after fixing the carb. well it wont come back so i can take out the key. it only goes forward enough to tun on the radio and hardwired fan, but it wont bump the starter. im just asking if i should try the switch first and then the tumbler. or try the safety switch in the shifter, then ignition switch , then the tumbler. thanks guys.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: stuck key tactics

Sounds shifter-related, since EVERY ONE of those complaints can be accounted for by the shifter.

See my signature for a helpful mental discipline for troubleshooting.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 PM

OK ill take the shifter apart and see whats going on in there. it was a tiny bit tougher right before it did this. any one have pics of what it will look like when opened? ill search park lock cable next.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM

i should also mention that the steering wheel would never lock since ive owned it.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

The steering wheel lock is actuated by the shifter, going into Park.

Start at the shifter.

Just pop the console off (takes about 5 minutes if you're slow like me, you'll probably have it out in half that) and look at it. No diagrams or pics really required. It's pretty obvious, you won't have any trouble figuring it out.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM

at lunch i took off the shifter cover
-i removed the cable from the shifter
-i can hear it move inside the column when i gently pull it
-i removed it from the metal bracket too
-do i still need to remove from ignition switch?
-key is still stuck in the tumbler
-steering wheel rocking and cable fiddling still wont let go of the key

is it time to replace the lock? any other tips before i do. im trying figure out what i need before i go home so ican stop and pick up the puller, plate c clip tool, and tumbler. thanks again guys
Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Move to the other end of the shifter cable. Find what it moves. Make sure it moves all the way. If it does, follow that to the next object it's supposed to move, and so on.

Your basic problem is that a whole series of things that are supposed to happen when you move the shifter, aren't happening right; something is not moving something all the way or something.

Study my signature and learn that helpful mental discipline that you should immediately apply to the issue at hand, by finding the simplest explanation that fits all the facts. According to that logical process, ANYTHING ABOUT the ignition lock fails to explain ALL THE FACTS, and therefore is NOT the most likely cause. It's the victim all the way at the far end of a cascade of events, some others of which aren't happening right EITHER. So leave it alone, and concentrate on things that DO explain all the facts. I'm not saying the lock isn't defective, only, it's LOW on the list of possible suspects, because for it to be the culprit of its own issue you'd have to have about 3 simultaneous failures to explain the OTHER issues as well, which makes that EXTREMELY unlikely.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Shifter cable is connected to the ignition switch. The key cylinder moves a rod in/out of the ignition switch. If cable not unlocking the switch, key won't move.

Have to drop the steering column to get to ignition switch - remove underdash panels, then two large nuts that hold underdash panel bracket, then two more large nuts that hold column up. Column then falls down, and you can get to the switch which is on top of the column.

You have to remove a small phillips head screw on the backside of the switch (where you can't see) to get the cable out of the switch. You cannot remove the switch until the cable is out. Save any/all pieces of the switch - if you replace it the aftermarket switches don't always accept the stock cable, and you have to use parts from old & new to make a good one.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 AM

i dropped the column. and saw nothing that looked sinister. so i went ahead and change the ignition lock. and all is good for now. now if i can just get the carb dialed in ill be good.