Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Crossfire to TPI

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossfire to TPI

Hello, I am in the process of possibly getting a 84 vette with the crossfire l84.

I have a few questions about what I want to do with the car to enjoy it.

First off, I want to convert over to TPI because I want a throttle body for plans of forced induction, My question about this is the TPI motors are made to rev up to about 5.5k rpms if im not mistaken, How will my digital dash on the 84 act to higher rpms?

I am looking into megasquirt aswell and from what i understand it will completely replace the TPI computer, so when looking for a TPI setup i dont need the computer correct?

And i read somewhere that the l84 has forged pistons...? any truth in that? and how are the stock heads? and are they aluminum..?

I have also read about people converting the lt1 intake for SBC motors too.. I have a extra lt1 intake just sitting but i dont know how i would setup a EFI system, If i went down this path can I just setup a fueling system and use megasquirt to run it?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning
Re: Crossfire to TPI

Your digital dash shouldn't know the difference, so there should be no problems there. As for the Megasquirt, any fuel injection you use that is self tuning, like one from FAST will have it's own controller, thus no need for a factory computer, but you will need to switch to a non computer controlled distributor. Don't know about the forged pistons, but I would tend to doubt it and the stock heads on the 84 Vette's were cast iron. I really can't help you with the LT1 intake set up because I am not familiar with it.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

All L83 Corvette heads are iron. Aluminum heads weren't available until late 1986 production. I doubt there's going to be much difference in redline between an L83 and an L98. I've driven both, and I don't think I've ever had one shift over 4800 rpm or so when flooring it. Never tried ragging out a 4+3 car since we rarely get them, but I seriously doubt there's any usable power left at that rpm.

Other than that, are you SURE you want an 84 Corvette? I'm the marketing manager at a Corvette-only independent dealership, and we usually specifically avoid buying 84-85's because of their issues, lack of desirability with customers, and the difficulty of getting parts. If you just like the bodystyle, you're MUCH better off with an 86-90.

Then again, if you're trashing the whole CFI setup and you're not overly concerned with electronics and power features working properly, you can usually pick up 84's pretty cheap.

As far as intakes, if you can make the LT1 work on that engine somehow, that's the route I would go. Very reliable (other than leaks), and none of the mid and upper-rpm range power problems of TPI.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts

Technically, the '84 Corvette was a superior car the the later years of C4 until the mid-90s. The suspension geometry was slightly better for handling, and rigidity was far better. However, this made for an almost brutish ride, something akin to a SCCA car, and while it would steer with feedback, brake, and hold lines better than anything that didn't include rails, it was too much for most buyers who really only wanted a cool looking cruiser and none of the real performance. Many buyers were scared by the harsh ride and real feedback they got from the seat and steering wheel. The later, softer versions hit that market better.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 AM

I got the car, Yes many people have warned me about 84 and 85 vettes, But this 84 was the only option i had because I was not buying a vette.

I was offered this car in trade for my 97 grand prix gtp. And wall i really enjoyed the smooth ride and the blower of the grand prix. This vette is awesome!.

It is by far the slowest car i have owned but i got a deal, The car + a little cash for my grand prix.

I checked the RPO codes today, it is a z51 witch is nice! i just love the way it handles.

This motor though is a dog, at 9:0 compression and the shitty heads and crossfire intake.. Lets just say i gota do something about its power band lol. I plan to port the crossfire intake for now since I have the tools to do so, But I will start looking for some cheaper aluminum heads maybe from a 305? for a bump in compression. And then see what all is required for the lt1 intake swap.

I have the lt1 intake, fuel rails and injections.. Just need a TB witch i can get cheap.. So assuming i get this all hooked up, with a non computer operated distributor I could use megasquirt to run everything else correct?

Heres a pic of the vette.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning

Awesome! I personally love the C4's and hope to get one myself someday. Congrats!