Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starting problem with a 1986 2.8L v6 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem with a 1986 2.8L v6 Firebird

I have a starting problem with my 1986 Firebird. It stalled the other day while going down the road (wasn't even on the clutch), and now it won't start.

On this car, the previous owner created a wiring nightmare. In short, the cooling fans wouldn't turn on, so he wired a toggle switch to turn them on when needed. The lock cylinder and key won't start the car when turned to "start," so he hotwired a push-button system straight to the starter, and now you have to turn the car to "on" and hit the button to start the car. After this "fix," if you turn the lock cylinder/key to the "start" position, the brake light comes on and the temperature gauge goes all the way up (obviously, not the car's actual temperature, just the gauge reading).

So...the symptoms:
--The headlights won't flip up, but they do turn on as I can see the lights shining under the bumper.
--No lights (dash, interior, etc.) come on with the lock cylinder/key in the "on" position.
--Power windows won't roll back up
--The fuel pump doesn't click on with the lock cylinder/key in the "on" position, but DOES turn on when the car is cranked (with the button hotwired to the starter, the car still cranks but won't fully start).

What I've done so far:
Checked battery. It is working properly.
Got a new ignition switch. Pain the the {chain of expletives} to un-/re-install, so I took off all the wires and connections from the uninstalled switch and fully hooked up the new switch, minus actually securing it to the steering column. By moving the rod attached to between the lock cylinder and the switch, I went through all of the switch positions....and still nothing.

I am at a total loss as to what could be the cause of the problem. Only other thing I could think of would be the PCM, but before I replace that I would like to know if ANYONE has had the same problem and knows of something else to do to make it work again. Just anything...I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kaminsky72; 06-11-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added a symptom
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Starting problem with a 1986 2.8L v6 Firebird

Figured it out--there were two corroded and broken fusible links connected to the starter. They weren't on any wiring diagrams we had, so who knows if it was something the previous owner rigged up.