Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Power Tour Long Haul. Many problems. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Power Tour Long Haul. Many problems. Need help

Ok. Where to start....

I took the IROC-Z on the Power Tour and started experiencing some issues. A few I can take care of, but others are unknown variables. The wheel bearings started making noise and I noticed the tire has some play in it. That hopefully will be an easy fix of just repacking and retightening.

The sway bar end link bushings gave up on me. I already replaced those.

The AC system died two days after I had the system recharged. The shop that replaced the compressor and dryer found a leak and recharged it before we left. Unfortunately, they fixed a leak that didn't exist and left the leak that did exist. No freon for me. I found the leak and will have them fix it, so another issue should be resolved.

Now the good stuff. While driving with less than 1/2 tank, the acceleration would sputter on me and at one time lthe car just shut off. The temps were over 100* outside and I was driving in town traffic. The car started up again, but wasn't running very smoothly. I let the car cool, added fresh gas and fuel injector cleaner and the car drove much better, but if I got below 1/2 tank, the car was running poorly. WOT would cause it to stumble. Any ideas?

Last issue was what I thought to be an alternator issue, but I'm thinking twice on that. The voltage gage was bouncing around erratically so I stopped at a shop and they diagnosed the alternator not charging. My voltage was holding at about 10. After the alternator swap, the car was fine from south Alabama to Indianapolis, regarding the voltage only, not the other issues. On my return trip, I was good from Indianapolis to Gainesville, FL, about 900 more miles, when the voltage started jumping from 10 to 14 again. When it stabilized, at 13V+, it stayed there constantly. It's acting as if I have a bad ground or something. Could this problem and the above be tied to an ECM issue? Could it be tied to a bad ground? Any help is appreciated. The car only has 18,500 miles now!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: Built 312
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42
Re: Power Tour Long Haul. Many problems. Need help

In regards to the alternator- I had almost the exact same problem when my choke power wire rubbed bare and was rubbing on the edge of my valve cover. Removed/replaced wire, and back to 14+volts. I assume your FI, so I wouldn't know where to look, but at least a suggestion what to look for.

Stalling at 1/2 tank.....fuel pump or filter? The natural siphon action is less at 1/2 tank than full, so it's having to work harder. Just another idea. Or even the relay (?)

Hope it helps you get going in the right direction.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 1LE
Engine: 377 w/Stealthram
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Torsen

Check your charge wire and your battery cables for corrosion. These wires wear from the inside out. Look for a chalky white or green powder on the ends or try to bend it and see if it's pliable or not.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Has the the actual battery voltage been measured fluctuating at the terminals? Maybe just your gauge is bad.

Dying in the heat - fuel pressure or bad ign module?