Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Smells like Fuel, Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smells like Fuel, Rough Idle

Okay so I'm getting extremely frustrated with my 92 Camaro 305.
First:
When I first start it up after 3-4 turns of the key it shoots up too about 30000 RPMS and it takes alittle while for it too drop down even after starting and driving.
Second:
Now, Sometimes when I'm going too a complete stop or an abrupt stop the car will literally die and I will have too to restart it back up.
Third:
The car itself smells like gas fumes were in the car, I replaced the EVAP check valve. So its not that, but when I went to check the fuel lines in the gas tank it doesnt seem like the little metal plate has a good seal with the actual gas tank and when I push on the gas tank I hear air/gas fumes escaping where the tank little circle thing meet.
(btw the picture is not of my car its just in general where the smells coming from)
Attached Thumbnails Smells like Fuel, Rough Idle-lt1_pump2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Z-28
Engine: LT1-topped 400
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Smells like Fuel, Rough Idle

Is the engine TBI or TPI? Has it always done this or just started recently? Did you perform any work on the car before this started happening? What have you tried so far? When you encounter this starting problem, do you put the key in and immediately try to start the engine, or do you turn it on and wait a couple seconds for fuel pressure before cranking?

I'd say start by doing a good tune-up. Clean the IAC, set minimum air position, verify correct TPS voltage, check your spark plugs for condition and clean + gap or replace, check ignition wires for condition and replace if you never have before. Run Seafoam or similar in the fuel to clean your injectors and combustion chambers.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GambitUSMC
Okay so I'm getting extremely frustrated with my 92 Camaro 305.
First:
When I first start it up after 3-4 turns of the key it shoots up too about 30000 RPMS and it takes alittle while for it too drop down even after starting and driving.
Second:
Now, Sometimes when I'm going too a complete stop or an abrupt stop the car will literally die and I will have too to restart it back up.
Third:
The car itself smells like gas fumes were in the car, I replaced the EVAP check valve. So its not that, but when I went to check the fuel lines in the gas tank it doesnt seem like the little metal plate has a good seal with the actual gas tank and when I push on the gas tank I hear air/gas fumes escaping where the tank little circle thing meet.
(btw the picture is not of my car its just in general where the smells coming from)
do you have an access panel cut in order to get to the fuel lines?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Be careful if you decide to use seafoam, it is a great product but if there is any debris in your fuel system or your injectors are not in the best shape you can potentially clog up the injectors. Check the diaphragm on your regulator they sometimes have a tendency to dry out.