Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Camaro Backfired when i touched gas i shut it of now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro Backfired when i touched gas i shut it of now it wont start

I could use some help!!! I have a 1992 camaro rs 3.1
I was driving i cam to a stop sign and when i touched the gas it backfired and blew a hole the size of my fist through my muffler but it only chugged and stayed running. I got to were i was going 2 miles down the road I shut the car off. Five mins later i came back out to leave and the car wouldnt start. So far It has spark but i get nothing not even a spit or sputter the car smels like gas bad when ever u start turning the key (not even giving it gas) the timing looks right but there are 2 lines on my harmonic balance on oppisite sides one of them line up when it sparks. Could this mean i am 180 degrees off on my timing but i dont think that is there a sensor that could have went bad.
plz help
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Re: Camaro Backfired when i touched gas i shut it of now it wont start

Well i thought maybe it was not getting enough spark so I replace the cap, Rotor, ignition coil, wires and plugs the spark was bright blue and huge now. Now the car spit and sputtered but didnt fire and floods its self out so i checked the timing and that looks all lined up so i ruled that out now i am thinking it is the engine coolant sensor but am not sure if anyone has any suggestions plz feel free to help.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 PM

fuel pressure?vacuum leaks,fuel filter,egr,timming,if the timming was wrong before you had this problem i will think on experienced some problems before this,make sure to do all the basics and go from there
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 PM

also check the air control valve make sure the air passages are clear in the throtle body no carbon build up
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

You sure there's gas in the tank? Was anything done to the engine? Seems strange that this problem would develop out of no where. You didn't put diesel in it or something did you?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 PM

Ok everyone i have figured it out it was not the timing because that all lined up now the car would spit and sput after i put the new cap, and rotor in and plugs but only after you let the key go. So i checked if the spark was good it would have good spark when the plugs were out and not under pressure. So after draining the tank thinking bad gas and that didnt work so i said screw it and bought a coil and what do u know the spark i was getting was not good enough. So ignition coil was the winner after that the car took about a sec to start. now it idels a bit high but i think thats from the giant hole in the exuast or even maybe all the dry gas or octane boost i put in it. But i will worry about that when i get it off the ramps and after i drop the tank so i can fix the gas gauge.