Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Issues with Speedomter and Column Switch and engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues with Speedomter and Column Switch and engine

Ok so i read some threads and it said that any column would fit 82 to 92 firebirds so i thought everything would go smooth but it didnt. I have a 1991 firebird 3.1 engine.

We switched my column out with a 1986 transam column, my friend is who is a mechanic helped me we had to hone out the hole the ignition switch goes in to put my vats ignition in it otherwise it wouldnt fit the vats wire we ran down the column and the car starts fine. But when we first hooked it up the windsheild wipers worked fine although we had to cut the wires and use my old clip cuase the one off the 86 was differnt that went fine but now that its all said and done i got all sorts of problems and need a lot of help as im not much of a mechanic myself. The delay part of the windsheild wipers did not work at first but now it works on high and low and delay but it stays on low on delay not actuall delay, when i put it on the off positon now the wipers will not shut off, i can not get the wipers to shut off at all period. Not always but when you use the turn signals sometimes they dont come on correctly and you have to move the handle over a little to get them to click on and a couple times the horn blew when i was parked and tried to use the right turn signal. What do i need to fix whats going on? My speedo isint working correctly either now it did before the column switch, it goes really slow when you speed up and really slow when you brake, you can tell its way off and not reading correctly, its just really weird. I ended up braking my brake light switch which im replacing tommorow(just wondering if that controls anything else?) The 86 column had a part on it where you hook up the blue and black plugs which have the main red and orange power wires for the car in it right on the column, my car had a white hook up that my shifter cable is connected to that we had to just hide under the dash becuase there was no power when we hooked it up that way so we had to hook it directly to the 86 column. Could that have anything to do with any of these problems? My friend was having all sorts of trouble getting the column connected to the knuckle under hood he grinded out some of the inside of the hole where the bolt goes and finally got it to bolt on tight. There is a part that connects to the knuckle under the hood coming from near the front of the hood that had threads on it (i dont know what its called or is) but he could not get it put on the way he took it off so he put it on anyway it fit on and said that it dont matter how it goes on its the same either way! Just wondering if that thread thing being on wrong could have anything to with my speedo not working correctly. Any help asap would be greatly appreciated this is my only car right now and driving it this way is not good at all. If someone could please tell me how to fix this and or tell me the answers to my above questions about the knuckle being on wrong and the wipers please do so any info would be greatly appreciated. I figured id asked third gen since theres so many smart people out here that know alot more about thirdgens then me and my mechanic freind apparently do. (sorry such a long post guys, just wanted to be detailed).

Thankyou
Ryan
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Issues with Speedomter and Column Switch and engine

Im getting to the point with all these problems and not knowing what to do that im almost really thinking about just getting rid of my bird even though i love it its turning into nothing but a headache.