Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cooling system issue's need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling system issue's need help

hey guys, I have a SBC 434 in my 92 bird. I have the stock Manual radiator and a Volvo 16" S type electric fan. The 434 puts out 550 plus horse, and the TPI fans bearly kept it under 220. So I found this volvo fan that moves ALOT of air, and keeps it cool when it works, but it doesnt work very often, and thats my problem. I am running an Accel gen 6 ECU, and it controls the ground circuit on the coil for the cooling fan relay, so I can adjust my temp that I want on and off. The problem is the Volvo fan draw soo much amperage, I had to rewire the complete cooling fan circuit in 10ga wire, and upgrade to a 40 amp fuse, and a 40 amp relay. That worked for awhile, but then it started to burn out relay's often. I upgraded to a 60amp relay, and it burned that out in a week! So I am in the market for a cooling fan setup and radiator. First question, will a LTI radiator fit in my 3rd gen? I heard they have a wider core, and cool better. Second, I have LS1 fan module, and I was going to install them, you think they will do the job? Third, I am open to installing a mechanical fan with a shroud, But will a mechanical fan move 3500 plus cfm? If so, I've heard that the camaro shroud's allow a bigger fan to be used, is this true? Will it bolt right in?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Cooling system issue's need help

If it were me, I'd look to an aftermarket controlller for the fan. I run a Flex-a-lite - it's expensive at $90, but it starts the fan at 65% of normal power, then increases to 100% after a minute or two in the event that the 65% doesn't start cooling. I'd bet something like that would solve your burnt relay issues.

The ECM doesn't care if the fan ever comes on or not, so there's no issue with using a seperate fan controller. They come with all their own wiring and don;t use any of the stock wiring, or relays, or anything.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350
Re: Cooling system issue's need help

X2 on the fan controller. It sounds like the motor may be bad on the volvo fan. Bad brushes or bearings can cause a higher than stock load to be put on the relay while it is trying to turn. Have you checked the prices out on a new motor for the fan? I use an LS-1 radiator on my RS and Twin Flexalite S-blade fans. That cools down my car and it has 640 RWHP. Remember, if you dont have a good shroud and the hot air isnt being drawn through the entire radiator, then you are missing out on the chance to cool all that water in the radiator. I wouldnt replace the radiator if I were you as it sounds like it works for your car as long as the fan is working.