Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1986 camaro charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011 | 02:21 PM

1986 camaro charging problem

Hey everyone.

I'm having some trouble diagnosing my car problem and figured I would try this site.

It's a 1986 camaro v6 2.8l. Basically the problem is the car keeps running on the battery and the battery is not being recharged by the alternator. I've replaced the alternator and the battery (100% have working ones in it now), I've tested / checked the terminals and wires between the battery and alternator, and I just went through my fuse panel to see if anything is blown.

I'm not sure what else to try. Any ideas? I've heard that some camaros have their alternator controlled by the computer, and that if a fuse is blown, or a short is happening, that it won't allow the alternator to recharge the battery.
Old 04-15-2011 | 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Re: 1986 camaro charging problem

Not sure what the problem could be but the computer definitely isn't involved with the alternator charging the battery.

If the components are known-good the most likely culprits are bad cables or bad grounds (there are multiple grounds between the battery, engine and chassis).