Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Wiper Fluid not shooting, speedo not working, and any help with AC/Heater

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700r4...sort of
Wiper Fluid not shooting, speedo not working, and any help with AC/Heater

Howdy, I have three issues with my 87 TA. I recently purchased it and the previous owner switched out the original 305 with a 383 stroker. After this switch the speedometer stopped working. I am worried I have to replace the speed sensor, but before i invest money into one I wouldn't mind hearing a few simple solutions/ways to check whats wrong.

Secondly, my windshield wiper fluid isn't coming out for some reason. Funny enough the wipers actually work when I use them. I'm not sure if it's the wiring in the steering wheel, but I thought it was just one connector for both of those functions.

Lastly, this one isn't an actual plea for help. More so to ask if anyone knows a manual that can show me how to reinstall the A/C and heater. The previous owner pulled out the AC and gave me all the parts. But without any frame of reference, I have no idea where to put what. A manual with a detailed stripping of the system would help ALOT. I'm getting a Haynes manual in the mail in the coming days, but am not sure if it deals with that.

Thank you to anyone and everyone that is willing to spend a minute or two to give me a response.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Car: 1988 firebird formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI :)
Transmission: Auto :(
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt LSD
Re: Wiper Fluid not shooting, speedo not working, and any help with AC/Heater

i had similar issue with my wipers a while back. from what you posted, you say when you use the washer function, the wipers wipe as they should, but no fluid comes out? thats exactly what my problem was. for me, it turned out to be the washer pump connector was corroded out, replaced that and everything was good. oyur problem could be similar, or it could be the pump. good luck!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r Automatic

is your vss electronic or cable?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 PM

thanks dustin, i thought that's what the problem could be. Will check it out. Curious question, where does the fluid shoot from anyways. I've been told that wax clogs the holes alot of the time, and wouldn't mind checking that out as well.

@ james, my speedometer does not house an area for a cable to be inserted so I assume it's electrical (first car, and first time i've ever actually worked on a car so I don't know much. i hope you bear with me). Also, I should have mentioned that everything else works on the instrument panel. The only thing out is the speedometer.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Car: 1988 firebird formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI :)
Transmission: Auto :(
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt LSD

my fluid shoots from the wipers themselves, the hose travels up the wiper arm, and into the spray nozzle located on the arm.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought it was. Thanks mate.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Heyzus
thanks dustin, i thought that's what the problem could be. Will check it out. Curious question, where does the fluid shoot from anyways. I've been told that wax clogs the holes alot of the time, and wouldn't mind checking that out as well.

@ james, my speedometer does not house an area for a cable to be inserted so I assume it's electrical (first car, and first time i've ever actually worked on a car so I don't know much. i hope you bear with me). Also, I should have mentioned that everything else works on the instrument panel. The only thing out is the speedometer.
well unfortunatley i cant help you if its electric mine doesnt work either but if you look up some of my vss related threads youll find lots of useful info that was given to me i just havent had the oportunity to test things nor do i have a multimeter yet but check them out and maybe youll have better luck (my dash is like yours everything works minus speedo)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM

yeah, i don't have a multimeter handy either. I was hoping someone could give me a simple answer like a possible unfinished circuit because of mechanic's silly mistake during engine swap. I really hope someone gives me some simple checks so that way the speed sensor is the last possible issue.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Heyzus
yeah, i don't have a multimeter handy either. I was hoping someone could give me a simple answer like a possible unfinished circuit because of mechanic's silly mistake during engine swap. I really hope someone gives me some simple checks so that way the speed sensor is the last possible issue.
there are ways i just havent found a goon enough step by step for myself yet but there is a relatively simple procedure if you have a multimeter handy search under my threads theres a guy pockett or somethin like that who really knows his stuff with this kinda thing