Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Smog delete idea...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog delete idea...

Hey guys.

I was just reading through the serpentine belt conversion threads and how everyone wants to delete the smong pump.

Some wanted to buy the smog delete pully and other just ran a belt differently to delete it.

I was thinking, would it be possibly to use an a/c side bracket from a system that didn't have smog. Like a '95 truck w/ 5.7 w/o smog.

If you used that braket w/ your factory alt/ps bracket, would everything work the same? Seems like it should. plus if you did the delete this way you could use a factory belt and not have a big open hole or empty area.

any input?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Smog delete idea...

There's many ways it can be done - the tech article rerouting the belt with no delete pulley is the easiest/cheapest.

You can swap to any kind of bracket setup that works and makes you happy. Heck, I totally removed the serp bracket setup off my 1992 altogether (I always hated those big ugly brackets). I deleted A/C and smog, put alternator on pass side (where it should be in my sick little world). I'm running a $30 alternator bracket, a March P/S pump bracket, and using serp belt from crank to alt to water pump, and a V-belt from crank to waterpump to p/s pump.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received an issue of Car Craft a couple years again that had an article/how-to on the conversion. They said that there were two systems, the camaro one's and the truck systems..4.3, 5.0, 5.7 etc.

They said to make sure that you got the brackets and stuff all from the same doner car and not to mix it and their "sources" tell them that the two systems do not interchange.

but I don't see how using a different bracket would matter. Heck the alt/ps bracket looks the same for all the systems.

Any input from the masters on here? Maybe, they were refering the the smog pump not interchanging?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

I actually ran into a problem mixxing brackets. I broke off the ear that mounts part of the alt on my stock braket when doing my motor swap. I went out to the jyard and snagged a bracket off a GMC jimmy. Bracket looked the same to me, but it sits just a tiny bit closer to the block. So my ps pump and alt were off center of the rest of the serp set up and it kept eating belts. The alt/ps pump would pull the belt over on the water pump pully and dig into the belt. Im sure if you use all the brakcets from the truck setup (ie both brackets and all the pullies) it should work fine.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

Or you could just use spacers to set the truck bracket out further to line everything up....