Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Problems with 91 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011 | 02:25 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Problems with 91 Camaro RS

Hello,
I have recently purchased a 91 Camaro RS with a 3.1L backed with the 4 speed automatic. I really like this car it is hard to drive to work without a smile on my face. It gets great gas milage for a sports car and sounds great. Not sure what exhuast it has but most people think its a built v8. lol
OK so the problems

First, the car starts up time but after driving for a while when you come to a stop it wants to die. It starts right back up but will die before I even get to the stop sign. I thought it to be a bad coil so I replaced that. I read in another post that there is more than one coil on this car? On the distributer? I plan to open the hood up tonight when I start it and see if I can see any spark jumping. The car didnt have a map sensor on it when I bought it and I put a used one on to see if it made a difference but now Im second guessing that because it was used. I know that the map sensor controls fuel mixture by translating vac to ecu. Also once its warm and idles down it sounds kinda like its surging. not real bad but you can hear it if you listen real close.

Second gauges,
Ok only gauge that I think works is the temp gauge. Im not real sure how accurate it is. The speedometer works shakley after it warms ups, the rpm moves when you try to start the car and the gas gauge can never make up its mind but most of the time seems to think the tank is full. Also at night when lights are on if you hit a bump the sealbelt light comes on and makes an annoying noise. tap the glass and it goes back off till you hit another bump.

Finally there is a vibration on the car when you are accelerating heavy, take your foot off gas and it goes away. Where should I check first? driveline yokes and ujoints or rearend?

Any help on any matter from anyone will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jared
another happy Camaro owner
Old 03-07-2011 | 05:43 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Problems with 91 Camaro RS

Update, theres no spark jumping around that I can see at night with hood up.