Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No smoke with Radiator cap off what does that mean? I have update

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No smoke with Radiator cap off what does that mean? I have update

Ok I drove the car with the radiator cap off and the radiator appeared to be empty. As to if the Water Pump is leaking, i dont know, not sure if it is from that. I did add 3/4 a gallon of water the radiator took it all and i saw no smoke or steam with the cap off, except for a small amount when the car was turned off, and i saw the water level at halfway in the radiator.

Maybe the radiator was empty the first time and that is why i saw steam?

Is a Pressure Test the best thing i can do, or get antifreeze now since i added distilled water and fill it up and see if it returns? And if Pressure test, HOW?

Also, my temperature and oil pressure gauges domt workl OR i cant see them. How do i check on that?

1984 Camaro 2.8L Auto, thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the radiator being empty make steam come from the engine?

The first time i drove the car it ran great but i noticed steam coming from below the carburetor and a hiss sound, and when i drove it with the cap off it did neither of these things and i saw no steam or smoke. Here is the update: Ok I drove the car with the radiator cap off and the radiator appeared to be empty. As to if the Water Pump is leaking, i dont know, not sure if it is from that. I did add 3/4 a gallon of water the radiator took it all and i saw no smoke or steam with the cap off, except for a small amount when the car was turned off, and i saw the water level at halfway in the radiator.

Maybe the radiator was empty the first time and that is why i saw steam?

Is a Pressure Test the best thing i can do, or get antifreeze now since i added distilled water and fill it up and see if it returns? And if Pressure test, HOW?

Also, my temperature and oil pressure gauges domt workl OR i cant see them. How do i check on that?

1984 Camaro 2.8L Auto, thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Could the radiator being empty make steam come from the engine?

Originally Posted by 84CAMARO28inFL
when i drove it with the cap off it did neither of these things and i saw no steam or smoke.
Obviously.
with no cap you have no pressure in the system so coolant just boils out the radiator cap hole
instead of being forced out under pressure where the leak is

Is a Pressure Test the best thing i can do,
Yes

Also, my temperature and oil pressure gauges domt workl OR i cant see them.
Check gauges fuse.
If you are low on coolant then no coolant will be touching the sender unit to make gauge work