Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car starts dying as i hold the brakes when stopped?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z28
Engine: 5.7L L98
Transmission: 700R4 OD
Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27 Posi- :D
Car starts dying as i hold the brakes when stopped?!

Ok guys, im stumped on this one. Yesterday afternoon i changed out my valve cover gaskets and after i was on my way home after finishing, whenever i got to a stop light and had to stop the rpm would start dropping (tach not working i just hear it) and it would start getting real low and almost die until i press the gas a little to bring it back up. I thought maybe i left the pcv valves off on accident but when i got home they were on and there was no sign off a vacuum leak. But i tried looking this up and found a thread here where everyone said the brake booster might be malfunctioning or have a torn diaphram or torn hose. What do you guys think it might be.. it was fine when i had gone to lunch that day it just out of the blue happened when i was leaving work after changin the gaskets.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Car starts dying as i hold the brakes when stopped?!

did you check your fuel pressure? How about your fuel filter? When was the last time you changed that?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Assuming the car is fuel injected, the first place I'd look is the IAC... In normal use the valve and the passages get coated in oil and carbon. Regularly the valve needs to be unscrewed, and have the pintle cleaned. While it's out clean the passages in the throttle body, and clean the throttle body bores, don't forget to clean the back of the blades.

The next most common cause of that kind of problem is a bad torque converter clutch solenoid. Not that the brake booster couldn't be bad, but I've never had one go bad.

Last edited by Drew; 10-08-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM

damn i hope its not the torque converter clutch cuz i just put this new T/C in about a month and a half ago and it hasnt shown any signs leading up to this.. it just happened all of the sudden with no warning. no mines carbed. ive made sure all hoses were connected but i will recheck and make sure theyre tight and have no holes or tears. i tested last night before i went to sleep.. when you start it and when it starts warming up it will idle in park in perfect rythym but then drop rpm and pick back up intermittently and when i put it into drive then i slows even more ( i know when in gear the rpm drops from idle ) but its too far. almost to the point to where it barely stays on till i blip the gas to pull it back up. i wish i could upload a video of me in the car while its happening so you guys know at least what it sounds like. i might try that.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM

also thinking about spark plugs being soaked.. i did a seafoam clean when i was finished and may have started the engine too early so i might have soaked the spark plugs but ill check.. i have flotech shorties so its a ***** to get to the back 2 on each head in a third gen LOL. it was too easy with the stock manifolds
Old 10-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by 86IROC57L98
damn i hope its not the torque converter clutch cuz i just put this new T/C in about a month and a half ago and it hasnt shown any signs leading up to this..
I had to go back and edit my previous post... I was talking about the solenoid that controls the lockup, not the actual TCC. When the solenoid goes bad it can cause stalling.

Carbs aren't my thing, so I'll leave it to the experts on that topic.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM

its cool.. i dont think mines has a lockup on it.. ive owned the car for 2 years and driven it up to 80 mph and never did it lockup the t/c... always did 1,2,3,od and nothing different after that. just trying to keep it going till next may.. its been hopped up after that.