Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TFS 305 heads porting numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Re: TFS 305 heads porting numbers

More power versus lower ETs gets complicated by tuning, weather conditions, track conditions, tire deterioration, empty tank versus full tank, and other variables. Then there's the converter for automatics. More mid-range power might make it flash higher, which might hurt traction on a car that used to hook. More top-end power might make it flash lower, which might result in a bog.
ETs are the reason we do this stuff, even if we never actually go to a dragstrip.
However, running 9 second ETS with 200 RWHP isn't happening, even if your third gen is gutted. So making more HP becomes a necessity. Deciding how far to go in tuning your chassis to use that power, that's a related but separate matter.
So, if the heads get ported, then the car runs slower, that doesn't mean that the porting was a fail. It means the whole-car-combo needs re-optimized to make use of the porting. If you're not willing to do that, then why have the porting done?
When porting intake ports, it's not just about chasing big numbers while keeping the swirl and the cross-section. But with exhaust flow, maximum numbers with minimum increase in cross-sectional area is always helpful.
R-M finding power with less flow, those R-M engines are serious-power, big-inch, drag-only builds, not 400 horse streetable 350s.
It seems plain to me that Atilla is claiming that his expertise is in the street builds, and as such, he's wise to stay out of the whole ET thing. That can be fudged in a dozen different ways.
It's not up to the porter to turn the bigger flow numbers into better ETs. Unless he's doing his own car. And there, how would you know if he improved his ETs by porting, or if he switched from street radials to drag slicks? That's why it's best to not ask the porter for timeslips. Tony Mamo and Joe Mondello and Jud Massengill all went drag racing in their day, but I haven't seen any of them attaching a flow improvement to an ET reduction.
Atilla informed me around midnight, that he's done with TGO and done with porting for anyone who's not a local, you "unappreciative bastards" just aren't worth the stress. I say "Amen"
Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamieSweet
More power versus lower ETs gets complicated by tuning, weather conditions, track conditions, tire deterioration, empty tank versus full tank, and other variables. Then there's the converter for automatics. More mid-range power might make it flash higher, which might hurt traction on a car that used to hook. More top-end power might make it flash lower, which might result in a bog.
ETs are the reason we do this stuff, even if we never actually go to a dragstrip.
However, running 9 second ETS with 200 RWHP isn't happening, even if your third gen is gutted. So making more HP becomes a necessity. Deciding how far to go in tuning your chassis to use that power, that's a related but separate matter.
So, if the heads get ported, then the car runs slower, that doesn't mean that the porting was a fail. It means the whole-car-combo needs re-optimized to make use of the porting. If you're not willing to do that, then why have the porting done?
When porting intake ports, it's not just about chasing big numbers while keeping the swirl and the cross-section. But with exhaust flow, maximum numbers with minimum increase in cross-sectional area is always helpful.
R-M finding power with less flow, those R-M engines are serious-power, big-inch, drag-only builds, not 400 horse streetable 350s.
It seems plain to me that Atilla is claiming that his expertise is in the street builds, and as such, he's wise to stay out of the whole ET thing. That can be fudged in a dozen different ways.
It's not up to the porter to turn the bigger flow numbers into better ETs. Unless he's doing his own car. And there, how would you know if he improved his ETs by porting, or if he switched from street radials to drag slicks? That's why it's best to not ask the porter for timeslips. Tony Mamo and Joe Mondello and Jud Massengill all went drag racing in their day, but I haven't seen any of them attaching a flow improvement to an ET reduction.
Atilla informed me around midnight, that he's done with TGO and done with porting for anyone who's not a local, you "unappreciative bastards" just aren't worth the stress. I say "Amen"
I hope I didn't **** him off. I was looking forward to the banter.

the issue is, the guys you mention, are NOT the pinnicle of head porting. Not by a long shot. Look at guys like Curtis Boggs, Darrin Morgan, LLoyd Elliot, hell even Chad Spier if you want to talk about successful porters. I think what we have is a disconnect/disagreement as to who is a real expert. But that is a pepsi/coke argument.

This discussion reminds me of the days when I was a teenager. When people used to talk about how many WATTS their stereo put out. My friends dad, and engineer, said to us once.....WHO CARES.....and we were dumbfounded. We all knew that watts equaled power equaled volume....

He said...how many DECIBELS does it put out. Now that made sense. Decibles are a measurement of sound quantity and that at the end of the day is the goal.

John Lott in his book, More Guns Less Crime, points out that statistically neighborhoods with more churches, have more crime. The logical argument is that churches cause crime, right?

Let us not do similar when it comes to assembling these engines. Let's keep an eye on what the goal is, speed, and what the relationships to get there are.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Orr89RocZ is that .433 valve to bore with the 2.02 valve accurate or a estimation? I have a bare 305 block on my engine stand right now but no 2.02 valved heads to check it with.
Pulled that from this thread...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...5cc-heads.html

First with 1.94" and 1.50" valves seated. The combustion chambers measure 3.955" across at the widest and overhand the 3.766" bore a fair bit. The intake and exhaust valves appear equally close to the cylinder walls and the valve spacing is around 1.91"

Next, the 1.94" intake valve opened until it contacts the cylinder wall, which occurred at 0.771" lift.

2.02" intake valve opened until cylinder wall contact, which occurred at 0.433" lift (which looks to be as soon as the valve cleared the chamber)...
Some good pics in there as well.

But fact is, just because the heads flow more, and even if they DO make more power on the dyno...it does not mean the car will get down the track quicker, this has been proven time and time again..how many people do you see with decent times, and disapointing dyno numbers?
The opposite is true as well. I know of many cars that laid down impressive dyno figures but aint run for crap.

The point that InjectorsPlus made about the race motor making more power with higher volume poorer flowing exhaust runners is a bit interesting though. Maybe the flow bench doesn't simulate scavaging well? And also the explosion is forcing gasses into the exhaust runner may not be simulated
Flowbench certainly does NOT simulate actual motor events. Motors dont operate at 28" of H20. Now there are certainly cases where a head is flowed on the same bench before and after porting, and a CFM gain is found and it is translated into a power gain at the dyno and track, but the opposite can happen as well. All my LS1 buddies have gone thru the cam only swap then moved on to ported factory heads. The heads picked up in flow on the bench, the car made much more hp at the dyno, and ran much faster at the track in same conditions no other changes to the car, so not just peak power increased.

Atilla, I hope you reconsider. There are many of us here that are eagar to learn from your experience. Some here may challenge your opinions but thats just their nature and its for learning purposes. It can be frustrating I agree, but if the time is taken to explain where you are coming from, the results will be for the better. Everyone will benefit. Just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '86 Z28, '91 RS
Engine: 305ci, 305ci
Transmission: TH200c (no kidding), TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

Great post; sound reason and advice.

Ask Atilla to please ignore the trolls we already have a deficit of quality members anymore. I think TGO needs an ignore feature for guys who like to follow peoples post just to troll them.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Pulled that from this thread...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...5cc-heads.html

Some good pics in there as well.
Thanks man I had read that thread before and couldn't find it again.

I'm questioning the .433 lift because that seems to still be inside the combustion chamber.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah does seem weird that 0.04" increase is radius of the valve makes for .338" less lift but I havent measured it.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Yeah does seem weird that 0.04" increase is radius of the valve makes for .338" less lift but I havent measured it.
Was thinking that too. It doesn't look like the valve is sitting in the seat, like the seat is still 1.94. Maybe he didn't calculate the distance sitting up in the seat would make? I don't know just speculating it just seems "off".

This other guy pulling off .553 lift with 2.02 1.6 valves on a stock bottom end 305 and beating the **** out of the thing (clutch dropping at 6000rpm?? ) also adds to the confusion for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Well if my 401 is hurt and i have to yank it this winter, i'd be temped to throw in a 305 and see what it would do, but I doubt it would handle a 2.050" valve Only way to find out is to assemble and test.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM

The point of contact in the photo looks like its right at where the valve is closest to the edge of the cylinder so... at 9 o clock (or just slightly above) in the first photo showing the 2.02 valve. I'm pretty sure that would be around the lift figure he mentioned. I dont think he meant the entire valve was in the bore, just enough to where that spot on the valve entered the bore. The 1.94, being smaller, clears into the bore and hits in an entirely different spot on the valve so thats why it has more lift before it hits.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by 89fbirdformula
Dyno curves mean NOTHING.

Its simply bragging rights, ive seen cars dyno very impressive numbers, and then are complete turds at the track, and vice versa.
Originally Posted by InjectorsPlus
I don't put a lot of faith in dynos, as noted above,there have been cases that cars are 100 HP apart and run the same times or the lower hp one better.
Note I said dyno "curves", not dyno "numbers". Dyno numbers are for bragging rights, dyno curves are tuning aids. A dyno can give you information about drive-ability that you can't get at the drag strip. It can also show you why you are having issues at the drag strip or getting around the road course with what you thought was a big HP engine.

At the end of the day, performance enhancements are made to go faster, so the clock is really the only real determining factor is the clock. Who can argue that?
What we should be discussing is the OP's intended use for these ported TF heads. But, he's been long gone from this conversation - probably canceled his notification subscription, and if so, I can't say I blame him. What he intended to accomplish with the final product is a complete mystery, so even discussion of track times is moot without knowing that.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I tend to agree.

I agree and disagree. Depends on the ports. If the combo is set up right, work on the heads should only improve it. You do not re design the entire setup around the heads...

What?

Wrong. The laws of physics apply on your lawnmower, your scooter, your pickup truck, dumptruck, stock car, street car, drag car, circle track car, open wheel car, etc... etc.... etc...

This argument just drives me nuts. As if because you call something a "street car" the laws of physics give way to the laws of urban legend. If it works in a 2000 HP dragster, it works in a 400 HP street car. Nothing changes except the type and quality of parts used. NOTHING.

Look at it this way, the same principles that make a Cessna fly are the same principles that make an F-22 fly.

Physics doesn't change because something is engineered for a different purpose.

There's a huge difference between screwing together parts and running desktop dyno, and calling yourself an expert engine builder and understanding the engineering that goes into a purpose built engine. I'm not sure which one Atilla is, from what I read, I still can't tell. ETs can't be fudged, not sure how you come to that conclusion.

People pay porters to go faster, not to get flow numbers. I don't remember seeing any of those guys you mention in drag racing winners circles...maybe you can show me where they are. I do however see Reher Morrison engines, Pat Musi, Tony Barker, Chris Uratchko, Sonny Lenord, and a few others, but not those guys.

Seems to me he wants to take his ball and go home rather than prove a point. This happens when people ask for specific results to be determined BEFOREHAND? Seems weak to me. Seems to me he wimped out.

I'm going to be consistent here. IF someone is going to test something, they need to have a baseline to compare. The criteria of success is set before the test, not based on the results.

RobR is testing new custom injectors I sent him. He has a baseline of his existing injectors. IF HE DIDN'T what did we prove? We can SPECULATE for days, but we really have no clue what the result was, so in effect, everyone just wasted their time.

Should be the basis for all testing.

Last edited by InjectorsPlus; 09-22-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by five7kid
Note I said dyno "curves", not dyno "numbers". Dyno numbers are for bragging rights, dyno curves are tuning aids. A dyno can give you information about drive-ability that you can't get at the drag strip. It can also show you why you are having issues at the drag strip or getting around the road course with what you thought was a big HP engine.
YEP! That's 100% true. That's where a dyno is a useful tool.

What we should be discussing is the OP's intended use for these ported TF heads. But, he's been long gone from this conversation - probably canceled his notification subscription, and if so, I can't say I blame him. What he intended to accomplish with the final product is a complete mystery, so even discussion of track times is moot without knowing that.
Why would someone want heads ported if not for a faster car? I'm lost.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula,1991 z28
Engine: 400 Vortec Hsr,496bbc
Transmission: TKO600,TH400
Axle/Gears: 9"4.10, 9"3.73

I tend to agree.

I agree and disagree. Depends on the ports. If the combo is set up right, work on the heads should only improve it. You do not re design the entire setup around the heads...

What?

Wrong. The laws of physics apply on your lawnmower, your scooter, your pickup truck, dumptruck, stock car, street car, drag car, circle track car, open wheel car, etc... etc.... etc...

This argument just drives me nuts. As if because you call something a "street car" the laws of physics give way to the laws of urban legend. If it works in a 2000 HP dragster, it works in a 400 HP street car. Nothing changes except the type and quality of parts used. NOTHING.

Look at it this way, the same principles that make a Cessna fly are the same principles that make an F-22 fly.

There's a huge difference between screwing together parts and calling yourself an expert engine builder and understanding the engineering that goes into a purpose built engine. I'm not sure which one Atilla is, from what I read, I still can't tell.

People pay porters to go faster, not to get flow numbers. I don't remember seeing any of those guys you mention in drag racing winners circles...maybe you can show me where they are. I do however see Reher Morrison engines, Pat Musi, Tony Barker, Chris Uratchko, Sonny Lenord, and a few others, but not those guys.

Seems to me he wants to take his ball and go home rather than prove a point. This happens when people ask for specific results to be determined BEFOREHAND? Seems weak to me. Seems to me he wimped out.
Atilla has also claimed to have built an 8 second 28mpg car as well, i called bullshit on..he offered to post proof, and like usual, DIDNT.

hence why i asked if he had planned to show proof of his work to the OP in this thread...and he dodged that question..and now has left TGO..

Honestly, Good riddens. Why on earth everyone swings off of his nuts is beyond me...I'll be damned if im going to send my 1300 dollar heads to someone who cannot prove if he/she has improved upon them.

Especially when in the hands of someone who isnt capable, they can be complete GARBAGE afterwards.

Ive never had anything against the guy, but if he's going to put him self out there as being the BEST, and among the worlds top TEN BEST...he damn sure better be able to prove that.

It's blatantly obvious that he cant, Im certainly not sad to see him leave.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 310 HSR, TFS heads, zz4 cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3:70

interesting..

anyway, i was just curious if it would be worth the money to port these heads, or buy new heads for a future 350/383... and in the meantime hopefully pick up some power to beat my buddys mach1
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Car: IROC-Z
Engine: 350 VORTEC
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I tend to agree.

What?

There's a huge difference between screwing together parts and running desktop dyno, and calling yourself an expert engine builder and understanding the engineering that goes into a purpose built engine. I'm not sure which one Atilla is, from what I read, I still can't tell. ETs can't be fudged, not sure how you come to that conclusion.

I'm going to be consistent here. IF someone is going to test something, they need to have a baseline to compare. The criteria of success is set before the test, not based on the results.

RobR is testing new custom injectors I sent him. He has a baseline of his existing injectors. IF HE DIDN'T what did we prove? We can SPECULATE for days, but we really have no clue what the result was, so in effect, everyone just wasted their time.

Should be the basis for all testing.
...it can be figured i ve seen it done!!! in person!

Last edited by COTY'S IROC-Z; 09-22-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: miss under standing
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Well if my 401 is hurt and i have to yank it this winter, i'd be temped to throw in a 305 and see what it would do, but I doubt it would handle a 2.050" valve Only way to find out is to assemble and test.
I'm going to go in theory mode here for a sec talking about what you brought up earlier. Is it a good trade off using the larger valve at lower lifts?

Now I know DD2k is not "proof" but it is good to mess around with and see changes and what not. This idea got me playing with "big good heads" and "big valves" on a 305 and I have to say the results are VERY LSx like. Bottom end power, high-end power, and a very mild cam with negative overlap. This didn't work with just any larger port head, but heads that are well designed and have awesome flow potential at lower lift (just like LSx heads too). AFR 195's, well ported vortec's with 2.02 valves, ect. The lift was only .432in .444ex too.

Since I've been building a 305 my self over summer to beat the crap out of I have run countless things through DD2k and never seen this type of result.

Nater86 may be interested in this because if it works on his 305 it would transfer well over to a larger motor in the future. We can all agree that he isn't going to get much more out this with the 1.94 and 1.5 valves, but if he can check clearance for larger valves this is at least worth a look.

I wish I had thought of experimenting with this before I took my heads to the machine shop because they were cut for bigger valves but only 1.94's. But again it may not work in my application (if at all) because they aren't larger port heads, they finished at 174cc intake and that doesn't really support larger valves.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by Nater36
interesting..

anyway, i was just curious if it would be worth the money to port these heads, or buy new heads for a future 350/383... and in the meantime hopefully pick up some power to beat my buddys mach1

There seems to be a lot of worthless background noise here. All these folks that like to come across as know-it-all's are talking about 2,000 dollar heads and crap like that. They seem to want to only judge a car by going to a track, well BFD.Thats all well and good if you have a monster budget. To get to your question, how much do they want for the job? are you willing to spend that? A mild port and polish will not hurt because all we want here is good flow in and good flow out. There is no need to go overboard. as long and the intake and exhaust systems are of good quality and you dont get to much cam, sure go get it done. As for putting them on a 350/383, go for it, keep in mind that the static compression ratio will go up with these heads depending on what CC's the chambers are.

Last edited by kd5icr; 10-12-2010 at 11:05 AM.