Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rebuilding '90 350 aluminum corvette heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS/Z28
Engine: 357 Edelbrock Intake & Holley Carb
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: whatever stock is
Rebuilding '90 350 aluminum corvette heads?

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with the local machine shop. I asked them how much it would cost to rebuild these heads I bought off one of the guys here. They told me $270, to include resurfacing, cleaning, grinding the seats and pressure testing for cracks. It doesn't include the cost of the guides if any need to be replaced or the valves either.

1) Is this a fair price? Does anyone know a better deal somewhere else?

2) If I do this myself, since I'm on a military post with access to most of the machinery for this, where do I get the guides at? I checked Summit but don't show anything that is not "designed for use with xxx heads" and the local parts store don't show anything listed for the aluminum heads, just iron. I'm not sure if the guides are the same between the iron and aluminum heads or not but I'm not willing to gamble on it unless I found drawings somewhere that show all the dimensions for both types.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: Rebuilding '90 350 aluminum corvette heads?

If you want to do it yourself, first get a set of '70s smog heads to practice on.
The price isn't horrible, plus you have recourse if anything goes wrong.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mos68x
Hey guys, I just got off the phone with the local machine shop. I asked them how much it would cost to rebuild these heads I bought off one of the guys here. They told me $270, to include resurfacing, cleaning, grinding the seats and pressure testing for cracks. It doesn't include the cost of the guides if any need to be replaced or the valves either.

1) Is this a fair price? Does anyone know a better deal somewhere else?

2) If I do this myself, since I'm on a military post with access to most of the machinery for this, where do I get the guides at? I checked Summit but don't show anything that is not "designed for use with xxx heads" and the local parts store don't show anything listed for the aluminum heads, just iron. I'm not sure if the guides are the same between the iron and aluminum heads or not but I'm not willing to gamble on it unless I found drawings somewhere that show all the dimensions for both types.
dont worry about pressure testing. If they were cracked you would see it and they were never prone to cracking. There issue was warpage by the back two cylinders. I had my 90 113's done for like 175.00 surfacing, and new seals and guides. valves must be removed to surface anyways
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 PM

They were never prone to cracking IN STOCK FORM. Porting changes that, making them thinner in spots.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS/Z28
Engine: 357 Edelbrock Intake & Holley Carb
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: whatever stock is

These haven't been ported yet, still very stock. Although I did think about doing some blend work in the runners to match the intake, and that stupid block in the chamber, I wasn't going to pay the rediculous amount for them to do the bowl work. I would like to have bowl work done on these heads, but I'm certainly not going to do that soon.