Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Best mid lift heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Corvette
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: D36 w/ 3.08
Best mid lift heads

My car spends most of its time in mid RPM so midlift is very important to me

I like the AFR 195 cc eliminators competition ports.

What would yall take?

MUST be aluminum. looking to stay 210cc or below to keep velocity. Going on a roadrace/autox 383. .600/.600 lift cam
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Best mid lift heads

mid RPM
mid lift
What connection are you thinking exists between these 2 things?

The valve go through their full cycle, from the seat to full lift, EVERY TIME the engine turns, no matter how fast. Even if you are cranking it on the build stand with a breaker bar.

Cams are cheeeep and easy to swap. Heads are expensive and swapping them is more invasive to the engine. You don't pick a cam lift (which is not the most important spec, regardless) and then look for heads to match. That makes about as much sense as buying a sofa and then go hunting for a house with the living room painted the right color to match it.

I know what auto-x is; but what is this "road race"? I see that term around here alot; but never in all my days have I seen or heard of any such thing actually ocurring, apart from stuff like the Silver State and the like, which I'd bet less than 1% of the people that talk about how they're going to build some monster motor for it, ever actually run in it or have any clue what it takes to make a car survive that sort of abuse. I think maybe most of them mostly mean they're just going to drive real fast all the time on the street and get lots of traffic tickets and eventually get their car confiscated. I hope that's not what you have in mind?

What will the car actually be doing? What is the weight, gear, converter, etc.?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Corvette
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: D36 w/ 3.08
Re: Best mid lift heads

road racing is driving on a closed course. Like the nurhenburg (sp?) and like course. Texas speed way is the one I will go to.

And by mid lift I mean they flow really well from .2-.5 lift where the cam spends MOST of its time. .650 flow numbers are useless if the car only spends a split second there whereas between .2-.5 alot more time is spent. This gives a broader power band.

My car is around 3200lbs 3.08 rear diff and will be getting a T56. The aluminum heads will drop 40-50lbs off the front end over my iron eagles.

Silver state would be really fun but I would never find the time for such an event.

Cam will be matched to the HEADS. This is why I need to find my head choice before specing out a cam.