Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

MALLORY IGNITION PROBLEMS??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 03:50 PM

MALLORY IGNITION PROBLEMS??

I'm having problems starting my car, been doin research and im getting 7volts to the negative side of the external coil and getting 3volts to the positive side coming from the ballast resistor. I crank the car and it turns over n over and seems like more often then not when i left off the ignition switch it THEN tries to start. Sometimes get a backfire and sometimes it starts, Ive done the credit card test also on the module, its good, so one thing ive noticed is ive got like 3 volts or even 7 volts on a couple ground wires going straight to the firewall... Please help or send me in the right direction... thankyou!
Tyler -
Old 09-07-2010 | 06:12 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 (L03)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: MALLORY IGNITION PROBLEMS??

Voltage on a ground is definitely not a good thing. Start with those wires and back track to find the source of the problem. Could be a short, faulty load device, open in circuit, etc. Other than the firewall, what are those ground cables connected to?
Old 09-11-2010 | 01:34 PM

Re: MALLORY IGNITION PROBLEMS??

Just to let everyone know.. the battery had a dead cell in it to where when put a starting load on it, it wouldn't provide enough voltage to the coil until the second u release the ign. switch, thats why when u would let off the ign switch it would try to start or backfire... NEW BATTERY = PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks guys!