Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Why am i not getting fuel fellas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock havent looked 3.42 maybe?
Why am i not getting fuel fellas?

I've spent the last few hours beneath my 91 rs 5.0 TBI camaro. I'm having issues getting fuel going. I just put my tank back in with a new pump, a gallon of gas and when i turn the key it doesn't prime. I don't hear the pump kick on until i turn the car over for about seven seconds or so and let the key go to run position, then it kicks on for a few seconds. From the info I have gathered in these forums that would be caused by the oil pressure building up, right? So I listened close for the relay click while someone turned the key on and heard nothing, changed the relay with a new one off the shelf and still nothing... The fuse over by the battery is good and the pump must be getting some power from the oil pressure switch so where does my problem lie fellas? I'm thinking maybe the ecu or the wiring. Unfortunately I don't have a voltage tester and wouldn't know how to use one if i did but If nobody has any other suggestions I'll break down, buy one and figure it out ha ha. Thanks In Advance PPL
Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 AM

Car: 00 SSEi / 94 C4
Engine: 231 / 383
Transmission: 4T65E / ZF 6sp
Axle/Gears: 2.93 / Dana 44 3:45
Re: Why am i not getting fuel fellas?

purchase a volt meter.. you can get a cheap analog version for $ 8 - 10
check for 8 - 12 DC volts at the FP connector... top side of the diff
did u forget to plug this connector ????
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Wish I could say that is the extent of the problem, but I've already checked all the obvious ones and the pump wouldn't be getting a signal from the oil presure switch without that being plugged in. Thank though I think i will find a tester.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Car: 1992 camaro rs heritage edition
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: stock

i havea car that sat awhile, when i put the new pump in i didnt clean out all the tubes on the sending unit....i kept trying to hear the pump run but all i did was ended up burning up the pump, cleaned all the tubes put another new pump in an it fired right up
Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 AM

Alright Guys here is the follow up. Luckily I didn't have to spend all day testing wires and cleaning lines. I bought a volt meter and tested the Green/white coming from the ECM to the Relay and it was dead. So I picked up an ECM for half price since I've built up credit at the parts store and plugged it in, Poured some fuel down the intake and it started right up. I waited for it to die after it burnt up the gas i fed it but to my surprise, it didn't! I now have a running camaro and couldn't be happier. Can't wait to take it out, Still have to get the timming right and fix a few vacuum leaks but atleast im this far. Thanks for your input guys!