Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

5.0 TBI wont idle same problem with mine

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010 | 10:46 PM

5.0 TBI wont idle same problem with mine

Newbie here,
Hey guys my name is john i just aquired an 89 formula 305 5.oo tbi
64k on the clock.
Bad idle. some girl owned it from 25,000 to 64000 mile light tap in the front new hood needs paint.
did the stater virst night would not start . done worked out great.
next brakes were squeeking/ cut rotors new pads were goos to go on that. needed two rear tires 245/50/16 done.
moving ilong new oil /filter plugs cap rotor all stantdard parts.
"Napa got the good stuff"
next new cat bacl exhaust had some rust on pipe figured car was worth it.
done $200 did it myself. sway bar links needed attention did them nice.
took car to work for a month ran great a little hop maybe shocks or struts need replace or bad tire not sure.
Ok here it is
Went to lunch one day the car started to stall .
did the gas filter underneath keeps leaking as you change it night mare to change is your not carful. same deal stalls,
Next changed the tps nothing same deal.
next base gasket, smae deal stalls.
next changed map sensor nothing same deal.
not sure whats next control module in dist help cannot figure out
thanks in advance John/
Old 08-07-2010 | 09:41 PM

Re: 5.0 TBI wont idle same problem with mine

Originally Posted by Formulajohnny1
Newbie here,
64k on the clock.
Bad idle. some girl owned it from 25,000 to 64000 mile light tap in the front new hood needs paint.
next brakes were squeeking/ cut rotors new pads were goos to go on that. needed two rear tires 245/50/16 done.
took car to work for a month ran great a little hop maybe shocks or struts need replace or bad tire not sure.
Ok here it is
did the gas filter underneath keeps leaking as you change it night mare to change is your not carful. same deal stalls,
thanks in advance John/
anybody?
Old 08-07-2010 | 10:10 PM

Car: Mystifying 1989 TBI Camaro.
Engine: 1992 350 Truck Engine. TBI
Transmission: 700R4 when it wants to be.
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by Formulajohnny1
Newbie here,
64k on the clock.
Ok here it is
thanks in advance John/
Fuel pressure? Mine kept stalling all over the place and that's what it turned out to be. Everyone says when a fuel pump goes, it usually goes all at once, but mine didn't! It stopped on me 7 times one day, but drove fine the next and then stopped a couple times the next day. It's excellent now since replacing the pump. So-far so-good with the lifetime Bosch!

If the fuel pressure is good, what about the EGR and IAC? I know I sound like a broken record, but I've seen it happen. (Remember I'm old.)

If you've tried everything else, especially the vacuum lines and such, there really isn't much more to check. How about the PCV valve? See if there is any difference when it's idling if you put your thumb over the end and let up.

Also, I found that if you loosen the gas cap to release the pressure in the tank, the gas doesn't usually keep running out on you when changing the filter.

Hope you fix it soon! I know what it's like to have problems since I've had my share lately, but only with very difficult to figure out stuff like a mysterious engine knock that has not gotten much worse in 8 years and the transmission not wanting to stay in 4th after warm unless the car is under load.

Last edited by jamienoel; 08-07-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: I'm stupid.
Old 08-08-2010 | 04:35 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Did you change the CTS in teh intake? It tells the ECM the coolant temp, and the ecm adjusts the AFR as needed. There's another potential culprit. The plug on mine was really bad, I think I bumped it during a header install. Anyway, if it came unplugged or the connection was bad the engine would think it was something like -60F and I had to nearly floor it to keep it running... Would instantly stall and die below 2500 RPMs or so. They can fail all sorts of ways.
Old 08-08-2010 | 05:15 AM

Car: Mystifying 1989 TBI Camaro.
Engine: 1992 350 Truck Engine. TBI
Transmission: 700R4 when it wants to be.
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Does it only crap out after it's warm? Black smoke? Codes?

Last edited by jamienoel; 08-08-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: I just did it to see this.
Old 08-08-2010 | 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jamienoel
Fuel pressure? Mine kept stalling all over the place and that's what it turned out to be. Everyone says when a fuel pump goes, it usually goes all at once, but mine didn't! It stopped on me 7 times one day, but drove fine the next and then stopped a couple times the next day. It's excellent now since replacing the pump. So-far so-good with the lifetime Bosch!

If the fuel pressure is good, what about the EGR and IAC? I know I sound like a broken record, but I've seen it happen. (Remember I'm old.)

If you've tried everything else, especially the vacuum lines and such, there really isn't much more to check. How about the PCV valve? See if there is any difference when it's idling if you put your thumb over the end and let up.

Also, I found that if you loosen the gas cap to release the pressure in the tank, the gas doesn't usually keep running out on you when changing the filter.

Hope you fix it soon! I know what it's like to have problems since I've had my share lately, but only with very difficult to figure out stuff like a mysterious engine knock that has not gotten much worse in 8 years and the transmission not wanting to stay in 4th after warm unless the car is under load.
trie iac and the pcv both working fine.
cts posslby somthing there and i was also thinkg 02 sensor???
i appreciate the responses i have to fix this baby.