Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tune up question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.23's
tune up question

ok so im tired of taking my car to a shop and paying more then i feel necessary for a tuneup. the only reason ive done it before is i was told the plugs are an incredible PITA to get at and i never really had time to deal with it. but now im just tired of paying $400 for one cause the mechanics hate dealing with it so ima do it myself from hear out. im familiar with changing plugs and wires. not exactly rocket science. but ive never changed the cap and rotor myself so thought id ask you guys. im sure its simple but just wanted to double tap on the issue before i go screwin around with it. thanks guys
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: tune up question

Cap and rotor are virtually goof-proof. They only go one way. The secret to doing the plugs is that some of them are far easier to change from underneath. It means getting the car up on stands.
I prefer to do as many as I can while I'm under there, then do the rest from above, while the front is still up on stands. Less pain in the back from less bending over. Also do the cap and rotor while the nose is on stands.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: tune up question

I custom made a spark plug socket for my 85 iroc... it's just a normal spark plug socket but cut in half by a band saw... It fits in perfect and I can do all the plugs easy from the top with a wrench that fits on the socket... but i have headers, so, i NEED that socket to do them.. not sure what kinda setup u have... yeah, the distributor cap/rotor is pretty simple.. hei setup right? nothing done to it? just make sure u don't accidently bump the distributor base and screw the timing up, or u'll have to mess with that too then... I'm not exactly sure why "atilla the fun" suggests doing it while the nose is on stands??? i personally wouldn't be able to get to mine that way, but maybe they know somethin i don't, who knows.. have fun man