Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Power steering hose weirdness.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Power steering hose weirdness.

I'm really at a complete loss here. I have a 91 Trans Am. The power steering pressure hose went out. I bought a new one. It doesn't fit. Ok, fine. I check online and... The ONLY hose listed for my car is the incorrect one. And it's REALLY incorrect. All the hoses for my car also state they are for cars without AC. Now I DO have AC, but no inline PS hose pressure switch or any dangling cables that once plugged into a switch around there.

I check a little more and discover a hose that looks exactly like mine for other models of Firebird. LHO C60 engines, etd. Except... It has a port for some pressure switch if you have air conditioning.

So, my problem is this. The incorrect hose is just wrong. It only vaguely resembles the general shape of the original. It won'w fit without a lot of modification anyway. The correct hose looks perfect except for the weird pressure switch that screws into it.

I ALSO have the Firebird GM parts manual which ONLY lists the correct looking hose, but with the pressure switch for my model. It's like I had some phantom hose installed from the factory that doesn't exist.

There are the two hoses. If you look at them both, you can see the severe differences, and the steering gear end won't even screw into the outlet due to the cockeyed bend plus the metal section sits WAY WAY higher. The metal sections at each end of the hose are of completely different lengths than the original.

Incorrect hose that I bought.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...ges/359320.jpg

Correct looking hose, but with some pressure switch.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...ges/359030.jpg

I really have no clue what is going on at all. My only thought is to buy the second hose, get a pressure switch as a dummy to plug the hole and install it that way as that is the only hose that will fit my car that I can find. Does anyone have any thoughts on this oddity?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Power steering hose weirdness.

As I understand it - the pressure switch function was to increase the engine speed a tad when A/C was on and you made a hard turn, like in a parking lot. Since the A/C puts a drain on power, and the p/s does the same, the two draining power from the engine at the same time could cause the engine to stall, thus the switch to increase engine RPM slightly.

I don't see where you'd have any issues with the hose that does fit and a non-operating pressure valve, especially if you haven't had any issues with the car stalling thus far.

Check the correct fitting hose and make sure - you might not need any switch, it might be built in the line already - you'll just be missing the elctrical connector for it.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Car: 86' z28 (died 5/1/11) 76 k10 pickup
Engine: 350
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 open

sometimes you can take your old hose into places like Granger and plumbing supply outlets and they will recrimp your hose if it pulled and its not too expensive. Id call around town and see if anyone still does this service Ive had to do it a time or two.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 PM

The new hose came with 2 dummy bolts with orings so I didn't need to buy a switch. It is an exact fit too. Really annoying that it is not even listed as a part for my car though. But it's all fixed now.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM

For future reference for others experiencing the same issue, I'm going to list the various incorrect and correct part numbers for a 90-92 Trans Am. I assume these same parts were used on the Formula and GTA and possibly the Z28.

This is the original part number listed in the Pontiac parts manual for the 90-92 LB9/L98 engines, 5.0 and 5.7 TPI motors. The numbers in the correct listing below are the correct replacement for this part number.

-----------------------------

Correct power steering hose part numbers from various manufacturers below.

EDELMANN Part # 71422
GATES Part # 359030
ACDELCO Part # 36359030

The above numbers are listed for a 5.0 TBI and a 3.1 litre engine, but are the correct hose for a 5.0/5.7 TPI.

Incorrect power steering hose part numbers from various manufacturers below.

EDELMANN Part # 71094
GATES Part # 359320
ACDELCO Part # 36359320

I would bet an oatmeal raisin cookie that the above hoses, all the same design were never ever used on a 90-92 Trans Am/GTA/Formula. The metal return hose, among other things, is in the way. I'd go so far as to say that hose would be for a 3.1 litre engine or one of the other engines out there, but not a 5.0/5.7 TPI.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Mmmmmm ... Oatmeal Raisin Cookie! Yummmmmy!