Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Gas cap wont screw on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010 | 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Z28
Engine: 305
Gas cap wont screw on?

Well I did a quick search, didnt come up with anything. I need some help asap as I can't drive without an answer

Basically, sometimes when I fill up my tank, I can't for the life of me screw the gas cap on. It can usually go about 2 turns and then does the click thing. I cant feel behind the cap that it still has a ways to go to be completely on.

I filled up and drove home thinking it was on enough (I stood at the pump literally trying to get it on for 5 minutes.) My driveway is on a slant, and the way it was sitting I could see gas coming down below the gas door. Soooo basically I cant get the cap to screw on. It hasnt been a problem since the weather got a lot hotter, so I'm assuming something is expanding from the heat.

I had to pull the car on to the road so gas wasnt basically pouring out of my tank.

Any ideas? I need to use it later so I can't be driving around leakin some gas.

I feel this should be easy, maybe I'm just stupid. Couldn't find anything on google
Old 06-21-2010 | 02:05 PM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Gas cap wont screw on?

I had the same issue with the stock factory gas cap. Mostly in hot weather it would tighten & click well before being seated. To the point where it would hold the gas cap door open some.

To fix it I used a flat file and a round file on the gas cap threads.

With the flat file I knocked down the OD of the threads. Not a lot, a guess about 1/16".

With the round file I lowered the grooves in the valley of the threads. Just the very bottom of the grooves, and again not a lot.

Basically this makes the minor & major OD of the threads less. Being plastic it is quick & easy.

It did the trick. Haven't had an issue with the gas cap since.

RBob.
Old 06-21-2010 | 03:03 PM

Car: 87 Z28
Engine: 305

Originally Posted by RBob
I had the same issue with the stock factory gas cap. Mostly in hot weather it would tighten & click well before being seated. To the point where it would hold the gas cap door open some.

To fix it I used a flat file and a round file on the gas cap threads.

With the flat file I knocked down the OD of the threads. Not a lot, a guess about 1/16".

With the round file I lowered the grooves in the valley of the threads. Just the very bottom of the grooves, and again not a lot.

Basically this makes the minor & major OD of the threads less. Being plastic it is quick & easy.

It did the trick. Haven't had an issue with the gas cap since.

RBob.
Thanks for the awesome response. I have a file but the grit size isnt allowing any plastic to be taken off. seems like some tough plastic. Anyways, for a quick fix i just brought the cap inside, and sat it by the AC vent. should do the trick for when I leave today
Old 06-22-2010 | 02:30 AM

Car: 1986 IROC
Engine: 355" TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I had the problem once and cured it with a new cap from autozone.
Old 06-22-2010 | 03:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Yep it does that, seems like you just gotta try again, like it can start cross threaded or somthing. Took me 2-3 tries at times.

Maybe a slather of grease on the threads........

But now I have a cap that has a flap or door in it so ya don't hafta remove it but I know what you mean....