Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Stalling at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Stalling at idle

Ok, I tried a search and figured I'd ask to see if anybody else has had this problem. I have a 91 GTA with 350/TPI auto. Car starts and idles fine when it's cold. Drives incredibly well and has no problems during driving. When it gets hot though (operating temperature) when I come to a stop, it sounds like it's hunting for an idle. I can feel the car almost want to die but it will catch itself and the needle will fluctuate a very tiny amount, between about 550 and 600spms. Once in awhile it will really catch itself and rev to about 800 and then the idle will smooth out for a little bit. Yesterday, the engine just shut down while idling at a light. It started back up and ran fine, idled right at the next two lights and then died at the third one while idling. I've read everything from IAC valve to Ignition module to TPS sensor to injectors. Recently, the car has had the following:

-Ford 22lb injectors were put in 10k ago.
-I had a burned spark plug wire 2 weeks ago, I replaced plugs and wires.
-Checked for vacuum leaks, I have none. Sprayed WD-40 all over the place.
-Ignition Control Module was replaced when put in the SLP T-RAM about 1k miles ago.
-IAC valve was cleaned about 10k ago and that is next on my to-do list.

Any other ideas?