Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Should AC\Smog stuff removal cause heater fan to stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Should AC\Smog stuff removal cause heater fan to stop working?

I just pulled all my smog stuff (air tubes off of exhaust manifold, big black box they ran to, smog pump) and all my A\C stuff except the A\C motor (silver tank, silver tubes running from silver tank to thing behind radiator, thing behind radiator)

Everything works great except when I go to turn the heater on, nothing happens. Since I bought it nothing except high worked on the heater (off, off, off, high) but now nothing happens at all.

I checked all my fuses and they are fine. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Re: Should AC\Smog stuff removal cause heater fan to stop working?

Bumpski.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 305 L69 (E4ME)
Transmission: NWC T5 1352-072
Axle/Gears: 3.73 (6HS)

I had a simliar problem. Here is what I did to fix mine other than the Hi Speed. Might work for you...

Turns out just a bad ground wire. I took off the black ground wire at the back of the blow motor. Then I hooked up a wire to the back of the blow motor and grounded it straight to the chassis and the fan started moving.

The strange part is that my fan has 4 speeds (Lo-Med-MedHi-Hi). On the AC side all 4 speeds work. On the Economy side, I'm only getting 3 speeds (Lo-Med-MedHi) to work no Hi speed. I swapped out the fan switch and the relay under the hood, but no luck.

It would seem strange to have it only work 3 speeds from the factory. Does everyone's heater (Economy side) work on all 4 speeds?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by cxxm
I had a simliar problem. Here is what I did to fix mine other than the Hi Speed. Might work for you...

Turns out just a bad ground wire. I took off the black ground wire at the back of the blow motor. Then I hooked up a wire to the back of the blow motor and grounded it straight to the chassis and the fan started moving.

The strange part is that my fan has 4 speeds (Lo-Med-MedHi-Hi). On the AC side all 4 speeds work. On the Economy side, I'm only getting 3 speeds (Lo-Med-MedHi) to work no Hi speed. I swapped out the fan switch and the relay under the hood, but no luck.

It would seem strange to have it only work 3 speeds from the factory. Does everyone's heater (Economy side) work on all 4 speeds?
Mine has only had HI speed work since I bought it. And now NO speed, atm.