Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Runs alot better with Vac Advance disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runs alot better with Vac Advance disconnected

Car: 89 Firebird Formula
Engine: Stock L03 305
Fuel system: Road Demon 525 (TBI tossed out due to error code pain)
Electrical: Accel HEI Supercoil with vac advance
Timing: Set to zero
Carb A/F Mixture screws: 14. whatever, set by emissions tech on their machines
Trans: 700R4

So I'm tweaking with my timing that was way off. I think someone may have used the distributor as a hand rest as it seems to have been set to 41% advanced! Its still hard to believe, maybe I'm doing something wrong to get that number and please tell me if I am. Basically I pull the vac advance and plug the carb, set the timing advance dial on the timing light to 41, attach the clamp to plug #1 point and shoot to find the mark sitting at zero. Bear in mind if I set the timing light to zero the mark goes way off to the passenger side so far that its close to not even being visible.

So I set it to 12% advanced and took it for a test drive. It ran a lot better, more torque and hp. Then I set it to 10, 8, 3, then 0. (Any lower was to low, rough idle, sounds bad, dies. Zero is lopey sounding and wont die) Each time I retard the timing the car gained torque and more top end hp. Even at highway speeds from 60 to 90 it was climbing as a 305 should climb. I then realized that I forgot to hook the vacuum advance back up! So I hooked it up and the car ran slower. Disconnected and plugged it and it instantly ran faster! There is a slight bog when it is floored but its less than half a second, less than the time it would take to actually shift into a gear it seems.

Could the curve just be dialed in without a need for the vac advance? Is there any harm in just leaving it disconnected? It seems to be running strong without. I cant imagine squeezing anymore torque or high end hp with the vac advance but who knows. Any comments are welcome.