Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

First time messing with timing, is this weird or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4.11
First time messing with timing, is this weird or normal?

First off, what I found and what I did...

Without disconnecting the ESC it showed what I believe is about 8* (point of farthest left "V") After disconnecting the ESC it showed about 6* retardation. I hadn't checked timing after replacing my head gaskets a few months ago, so the bad setting wasn't that big of a shock.

I adjusted it to about 4* advanced and gave it a test run. It seemed a little more sluggish than usual on takeoff. Weird that it seemed to run better in first at 6* retardation.

I then adjusted it to 6* and it felt about the same as -6*. Then I set it to 8* and it felt better than ever. Little more response in first and second, way more response and power in third and fourth.

Here are the oddities that I'm not sure about...

First off, the idle in neutral seems to be related to my speed. Is that normal? Like, if I'm cruising at about 35 and put it in nutral, it settles at a little under 2k rpms. If I just keep coasting, the rpms will slowly lower along with the speed. Sitting still, parked, the idle seems just as normal as ever. Is this normal? Also, when I first turn the car on it seems to act as if I gave it a quick tap to the gas pedal right after it turnes over. Last thing, with the ESC attached now that I've set the timing to 8*, it shows way to the left of the last "V".

So, that's the weird stuff, unless it's not weird, heh. One question, how will I know if I need to bump up to a higher fuel grade?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1996 Vette / 1992 GSX1100F Suzuki
Engine: 1996 Corvette Coupe 388 LT1 (+.060)
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: First time messing with timing, is this weird or normal?

Based on what you wrote, I'm wondering if you're mis-reading "advance" and "retard". Explain to me where you're standing and what you see when you're checking/adjusting the ignition.

My second concern is whether the outer ring of your damper has moved. If that has happened, then the timing will always seem to be off.

Of course you probably already know, that to correctly set the ignition base timing, the timing connector (tan wire with black stripe) must be disconnected. Then, once set, the battery must be disconnected for around 30 seconds (which will clear the stored code), the timing connector re-connected and the engine re-fired.

Once that's done, at idle, the timing should be at 20-22 degrees advanced BTDC.

Jake
Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Originally Posted by JakeJr
Based on what you wrote, I'm wondering if you're mis-reading "advance" and "retard". Explain to me where you're standing and what you see when you're checking/adjusting the ignition.

My second concern is whether the outer ring of your damper has moved. If that has happened, then the timing will always seem to be off.

Of course you probably already know, that to correctly set the ignition base timing, the timing connector (tan wire with black stripe) must be disconnected. Then, once set, the battery must be disconnected for around 30 seconds (which will clear the stored code), the timing connector re-connected and the engine re-fired.

Once that's done, at idle, the timing should be at 20-22 degrees advanced BTDC.

Jake
First off, Standing at the front bumper of the car looking towards the firewall I read retard as to the right of the indicator, and advanced to the left of the indicator.
Basically, I'm going off of this photo: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...iminglight.jpg

Secondly, how important is clearing the code to observing the results? After my first two adjustments (to 4* adv and then to 6* adv) I would just turn the car off, reattach the ESC (brown cable thingy) and then go test it, without ever clearing the code. Are you saying that clearing the code THEN reattaching the ESC would have given me different results? For the final adjustment (to 8* adv) I pluged the ESC back in, test drove it, then when I got home I cleared the code.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

You have advance and retard backwards
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No, you got it right. Left of zero is advanced (as seen standing in front of the vehicle), to the right of zero is retarded.

I never cleared the codes after checking timing. It just stores the code, doesn't affect how it runs after the next start. Might take a little while for the ECM to figure out how to trim the engine tune with the newly advanced timing, but nothing it won't learn it's way out of in a few minutes of driving.

A little rev-up on start is normal before settling back down. When it's overnight cold it'll hold a higher idle for even longer until the engine temp comes up a bit.

Don't recall if I ever popped it into neutral while rolling to observe the idle speed but that sounds like something GM would program in. As long as it drops back down to idle speed again as you come to a stop I'd say it's normal.

Will you need to use higher octane gas? Really that's a try it and see thing. All of the TBI engines I've played with will tolerate a bump of 4* over stock spec (from 0* to 4* BTDC) without needing better gas. Beyond that it's a try-it-and-see thing. Some yes, some no.

Last edited by Damon; 05-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

OOPS, I apologize, I wasn't paying enough attention and should never have said anything in a distracted state. Sorry, will try and not do it again
Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 PM

Car: 92 RS, 89 Formula, 84 Iroc
Engine: Carb 350, TPI 305, TBD
Transmission: T-5, 700r4, TBD
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi, 3.08 Posi, Moser 3.73

Doesn't the computer control the timing anyway? I was under the impression that adjusting the base timing would do very little throughout the rpm range.