Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What kind of Edelbrock engine is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 iroc z
Engine: 350 .30 over
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: told aftermarket moser 3.73 posi?
Re: What kind of Edelbrock engine is this?

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
man thats pretty dam rude of you, everyone starts off somewhere. hell just less then a yr ago i didnt know squat and while i still dont know everything, i know a hell alot more then i did. and atleast he's asking questions, and is going learn something.

to the OP, wanted to say there is not ashame in asking and from reading abit it seems your slowly getting more knowledgable and I hope some a-holes havent scared you off as you seem like a good guy.

iv only read bits and pieces thru the thread .
ok we have already covered the subject i told the op i meant NO offense by what was said i wasnt talking **** i was asking a dead serious question.. ive givin him all sorts of advice on this thread and in no way was i trying to be an ******* if you read the first page of the thread he sortof blows off everyones advice and acted like an *** towards us thats why i asked if he was being serious i just thought you should know so ppl on this thread dont think im one of those ********* talkin smack everywhere..... and to the op you do not need to pull the motor to figure out what it is i would suggest pulling the alernator off getting the suffix codes and pull the driver side valve cover if need be to see the number on the back of the block and all you have to do is go to google punch tht number in and bam all you need to know is right there.....
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '86 Z28, '91 RS
Engine: 305ci, 305ci
Transmission: TH200c (no kidding), TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

Xeromedia

Arching is what your burnt spark plug wire were doing on the headers. The current was exposed and contacting the steel header.

When I checked my original Z28 for the block casting number it was a real pain to get to. What I ended up doing was feeling around behind the drivers side head (cramped area between head and firewall) until I felt "numbers" then I laid a small piece of paper on it and took a crayon and rubbed the numbers onto the paper, it worked great.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi

Originally Posted by Doom86
Xeromedia

Arching is what your burnt spark plug wire were doing on the headers. The current was exposed and contacting the steel header.

When I checked my original Z28 for the block casting number it was a real pain to get to. What I ended up doing was feeling around behind the drivers side head (cramped area between head and firewall) until I felt "numbers" then I laid a small piece of paper on it and took a crayon and rubbed the numbers onto the paper, it worked great.
lol thats awesome!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7L 350

Wow haven't been on here for almost a year..I've definitely learned a lot since then hehe. Since last year I had some problem with my Camaro..I was driving into town one day in July last year and the car seemed to completely lose power in the middle of the road, it was just rolling down the street and wouldn't crank back up so I pulled into a corner store until a guy I knew from high school pulled up and jump started the Camaro. They seemed to think the carb was flooded or something, he kept saying "damn that's a badass engine dawg!" lol, I wish..but we managed to get it started up again and I was able to drive it about a mile and the same thing happened to me again lol..at least I was right next to a parking lot that time.

Anyway, I got it to start up the following day and drove it all the way to my street (about 10 miles from where it was at) and it died literally 20 feet from my house..what are the odds. I just pushed it into the lot from there, was a PITA to say the least. Anyway, I'm just reviving this thread to figure out what that problem may have been caused by. I haven't run the car since then, the battery is dead since it has a short somewhere but I'm going to replace the battery cables since they're trashed.

Right now I own 2 other vehicles, a 1986.5 toyota supra (which is also f**ked lol, learned my lesson on buying cheap *** cars), and my DD which is a 2003 chevy s10, I love the truck, even though it's a 4.3 it's pretty fast and runs great without an issue. I bought it back in December 2010 and already put over 6600 miles on it..these gas prices are eating me alive =.=

Is my engine in the camaro even worth a **** or is the entire car just trashed? My grandpa is going to pick it up in a couple of weeks and haul it upstate to Missouri and work on it (he used to own a mechanic shop and rebuilds engines). I'm wondering if it's even worth saving or if I should take it to a damn dump..live and learn..at least I have a reliable ride now..I'll get another Camaro sooner or later I'm sure hehe.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Car: 87 Iroc Camaro
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I say you keep the camaro. save another classic from the junkers they already destroyed many of this cars when the cash for clunkers was in effect parts are getting way harder to find especially dash pads if you wanna let it go find a good thrid gen salavge yard and see if they want it. I would save and build it but i like to get my hands dirty and I like to learn by doing most of what i know is from taking it apart and figuring out how it works then research the parts and how they work before you know it things will be come clearer when ppl talk about cars good luck and hope you keep the camaro
Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Sounds like an ignition module to me. Did it happen when it was hot out? Its a $25 part. I went through a couple of Accel modules last summer. Switched to an AC Delco module and its run flawlessly since.

What you should do next time is let it sit 10 minutes, the ntry again. If it acts completely normal, then repeat. The next time it stops, quickly pull the spark plug and check for spark. I bet you wont see any.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

The distributor rotor will also do that.... don't get all wound up over expensive stuff and paying "mechanics" and all that, until you've changed it out. Who knows, $5 and you might be back in business. It's a wear-out part regardless, so you need a new one anyway, just go ahead and replace it.

There's NO TELLING about that engine in your Camaro being "good" or what. Just because somebody bolted a bunch of Edelbrock crap all over it doesn't make it any better, or worse. Odds are probably 99,999 to 1 that it has been "rebuilt", whatever whoever did it might take that to mean. The main things that determine whether it's any "good" or not are how careful the people who did the machine work and assembly were, and the quality of parts used. None of us can tell any of that from a pic. Best thing to do there is, make sure all the stuff you CAN control (tune-up, carb settings, fluids, obvious leaks, etc.) are as PERFECT as they can be, and then if that's all PERFECT, then any deficiencies left, can maybe be attributed to how "good" the engine is.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 04-24-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Yeah..I honestly don't want to let this ride go, it needs a lot of work but I think it will be worth it in the end. How much do you think the entire car is worth as is? (there's some damage on the right rear end and needs a new tail light but I don't think it would take that much work to fix it). The only upgrade I put in since I bought it was a set of 4th gen black leather seats (and it definitely looks better with them). I'm on the fence between selling it to someone who would take care of it and restore it to a beauty, or keeping it for a good decade or more with a ton of work done over time.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Sounds like an ignition module to me. Did it happen when it was hot out? Its a $25 part. I went through a couple of Accel modules last summer. Switched to an AC Delco module and its run flawlessly since.

What you should do next time is let it sit 10 minutes, the ntry again. If it acts completely normal, then repeat. The next time it stops, quickly pull the spark plug and check for spark. I bet you wont see any.
IIRC it actually was pretty warm out, it was last summer and I'm located in southeast Texas so it's usually hot out here. It was at night time though and I think it may have been pretty humid outside but I'm not sure. I know for a fact that the accel supercoil distributor is loose and needs adjustment, as well as the edelbrock carb..I never got around to mastering the carb tuning lol I'm sure the timing sucks. I plan on upgrading the ignition system if I don't sell it. NGK plugs, new distributor, etc. I want to take the engine apart, clean it up, throw some ceramic headers and maybe put some vortec heads on there. I'm pretty sure there's a bigger cam in the engine as it sounds brilliant when it was running good. It definitely needs a new oil change and new tires lol.