Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What kind of Edelbrock engine is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7L 350
Re: What kind of Edelbrock engine is this?

Originally Posted by dimented24x7
Wow, the wiring in that thing is a mess. Makes me anxious just looking at it. Any plans to gut it all and clean it up?

How is the radiator set up? Looks like it has no overflow bottle from teh video. The bottle is just sort of sitting off to the side.
Yeah, it's a nightmare..the guy that owned it before me really jacked it up and had no clue what he was doing. The coolant tank is only bolted on one corner at the bottom so it's not really stable at all, but it hasn't given me an issue yet (although I need to get a cap on it sometime). I definitely want to rewire everything and make it look nice, I hate having to look at all that crap when I pop the hood.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

His motivations dont matter. Those heads are not Vortec heads. You've seen two separate pictures of engines with Vortec heads in this thread (mine being one of them) and you can see the bolt pattern is completely different than what you have.

Name:  100_6059.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  78.8 KB

Vortec heads have only 8 bolts, in pairs, at the front and rear on each side.

These bolts under your carburetor wouldn't be there if they were Vortec heads.

I'm also betting it's an 305 TBI or 350 TBI engine in there with a carb and edelbrock intake on it.

Now it's possible that whoever you bought the car from took the Vortec heads off because they're desirable, and then put whatever he had laying around on there. Or maybe they took that whole engine out. It's easier to swap an engine than swap heads, IMO - not by much, but it is. And if that first engine was that awesome, I wouldn't put it past anyone to pull and replace it and flip the car.

There's no way to know until you check the casting numbers on the heads.

Also, even if it's a stock L03 (305 TBI engine) it's still putting out as much power as an 82 Z28, they're extremely reliable, and they get great mileage... at least... with the EFI they do. It would do well with a properly tuned carb.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 06-28-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by RyanEricW
You asked. You basically said PO is right and serves no purpose to lie to you. When in fact if you wrote this in contract form, he has every purpose to lie to you to prevent a falsified sale/advertising. Could potentially take him to small claims court.
EDIT: Just seen you said you talked to the owner before the one you bought it from? Do you know how easy it is to pull a chevy motor and drop another one in? The guy could've just bought the car for the engine, plopped another in and sold it to you and lied about it.

Also, if he knows how much HP this car has, and he went to UTI, they have dynos at the school you can use, ask him for the dyno sheet for that car... bet it doesn't exist and lied to you.

I went to UTI 08-09 and graduated top of my class and I can say there are just as many retards that goto that school and don't pay attention (waste money) than there are people that do pay attention, actually learn. Those kids give the whole school a bad rap, especially most of the import crowd.

Although I graduated top of the class, I by all means do not know everything, and I do make dumb mistakes time to time, but seeing as I obtained half my ASE's in one nights of testing my first time, and when I study, gain experience by passed on knowledge/experience, I am very good at what I do.

Please don't judge the whole school by what one person did. The wiring in that car looks terrible, my car is no better as I got it that way (in process of fixing it), but if my electronics teacher seen that I ever did something like that, Mr. Chapen, he would kick me or whoever in the *** LoL.
My logic told me that the guy who built the car was telling the truth because he wasn't the one that sold me the car, he was the owner before the guy I bought it from..so telling me anything about the car wouldn't have done anything for him as I purchased it from someone else.

Edit: I thought about an engine swap being possible, that could have been the case for all I know..but the guy I bought it from seemed pretty damn stupid, especially considering what the setup was like under the hood when I bought the car. He couldn't speak any English and he seemed like he didn't know anything about cars at all. A friend of mine thinks that the headers that are on my engine didn't originally come with it, and that they were built onto there afterwards (but I wouldn't know).

Also, is it really necessary to get a new gasket when I pull the valve covers off?..why would the original gasket set be useless when I put them back on?

Last edited by gsmith; 06-28-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xeromedia
My logic told me that the guy who built the car was telling the truth because he wasn't the one that sold me the car, he was the owner before the guy I bought it from..so telling me anything about the car wouldn't have done anything for him as I purchased it from someone else.

Edit: I thought about an engine swap being possible, that could have been the case for all I know..but the guy I bought it from seemed pretty damn stupid, especially considering what the setup was like under the hood when I bought the car. He couldn't speak any English and he seemed like he didn't know anything about cars at all.
Always keep an open mind to all possibilities. Who knows if those two are friends...lol. It could be very well the guy 2 owners ago was telling the truth, but fact is, something happened between that point to the point where you purchased the car. Logically you have 2 answers to that conundrum, 2xowner ago guy is lying, or recent po took the heads/engine out.
Either way, it doesn't matter now, what matters is how to fix your problems and move on and hopefully learn from this experience.

Correct me if I am wrong, but 9/10 the gasket that was on there can be reused if it is not RTV. From what I have seen RTV usually breaks when u pull off the valve cover, but I don't remember seeing any beading around the outside edges of your heads, so it is probably a full one piece gasket. Now I could be wrong if those gaskets have been on the car for a LONG time, as from heat/cooldown / weather, they will become more brittle and may break when you try to remove the cover. What I suggest is slowly lifting the cover up while keeping an eye on the gasket to make sure it is not dead stuck and about to rip.
People usually spend the extra money for gaskets for piece of mind. Sometimes you will go to use a gasket again and it may develop a small leak, and instead of having to disassemble everything again and take a chance, replacing it is just much less of a hassle, and at least you know what is replaced on the car...

Last edited by RyanEricW; 06-28-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

Could have been the case, but the guy that was telling me about the car wasn't the same one that I bought it from, he was the owner before the guy I bought the car from..I just don't understand why he would lie to me, it wouldn't serve him a purpose. I'll get those valve covers off and get the casting number.
you can also tell by looking at the block casting nums. But, they can be hard to read sometimes if the engine is old and the block is rusty.

The casting numbers will be at the rear of the engine where the transmission bolts up on teh pass. side. Either way, the head or block casting numbers will give you an idea of what engine it really is. If it has 305 heads, then its likely a stock L03 engine. It could also be an L05 (most likely), or an L98 (much less likely).
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Supreme Member

Also, is it really necessary to get a new gasket when I pull the valve covers off?..why would the original gasket set be useless when I put them back on?
As long as the gasket isnt crumbly, its reusable. Ive had the same gaskets for almost 10 years now. Check the outer part of the gasket above teh two center exhaust ports for discoloration/deterioration. Thats the hottest part of the head, and they seem to break down there first. If it looks OK, then you can jsut stick it back on.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 AM

you can also tell by looking at the block casting nums. But, they can be hard to read sometimes if the engine is old and the block is rusty.

The casting numbers will be at the rear of the engine where the transmission bolts up on teh pass. side. Either way, the head or block casting numbers will give you an idea of what engine it really is. If it has 305 heads, then its likely a stock L03 engine. It could also be an L05 (most likely), or an L98 (much less likely).
How would I be able to check the casting numbers on the back?..would I have to get under the car or just get under the hood and use a small hand mirror or something to get the numbers?

The only number that I've seen on the block is "808" on both sides of the engine..I don't know what that signifies though.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

I thought the numbers were on the driver side of the block at the back? Lol
Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 AM

The 3 digit number on the side of the block, is that the last 3 digits from the casting number?..I saw "808" on both sides of the engine. What does that mean?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

The 3 digit number on the side of the block, is that the last 3 digits from the casting number?..I saw "808" on both sides of the engine. What does that mean?
Not sure what that means, but I know that is not the number you need. I've been told by a lot of people it is on the driver side, rear of the motor (up by the firewall). I am sure he just typo'd. Your number will be something like the number the guy mentioned in the post below.
Not to make you worried by I have yet been able to see my engine code, it is really hard to find it, as it is pretty far down there I think, and my engine is probably dirty back there. I tried a bending telescopic mirror and light to no avail...but then again the engine was hot and didnt want to get too close! Lol
Guy sold me my car said it was a 350, but I have honestly doubted it since I seen the car. Mine is probably a 305 honestly... I have a written contract and even saved the CL ad in case he lied I can take matters from there. I don't like people who lie about things to sell it.

3970010 back of block driver side
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...code-need.html
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 AM

Car: 1985 iroc z
Engine: 350 .30 over
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: told aftermarket moser 3.73 posi?

made me laugh really hard there!
I don't mean to be an ***, I know we all need help sometimes a lot, but at least try. Taking 4 bolts off each side is cheaper than replacing wires. Were the wires even damaged / arching? Arching you usually will see a very small electrical spark coming from the damaged part of a wire to any ground source (any metal on engine or frame) every time the cylinder should fire. Usually makes a small tick/zip sound.
at least somebody other than me thought it was funny
Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zachkuby87
at least somebody other than me thought it was funny
The group that strives for our stock et times...yet talks massive ****. lol...
Like I have always said, there's a reason top fuel dragsters use big solid 8 cylinder blocks...
My old performance instructor told me the fastest civic in the world has to trailer about 3-5 engines with them as they don't last but around 1 pass before they have to change it for another run for competitions. Rofl
Never actually looked into this claim haha
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 AM

Not sure what that means, but I know that is not the number you need. I've been told by a lot of people it is on the driver side, rear of the motor (up by the firewall). I am sure he just typo'd. Your number will be something like the number the guy mentioned in the post below.
Not to make you worried by I have yet been able to see my engine code, it is really hard to find it, as it is pretty far down there I think, and my engine is probably dirty back there. I tried a bending telescopic mirror and light to no avail...but then again the engine was hot and didnt want to get too close! Lol
Guy sold me my car said it was a 350, but I have honestly doubted it since I seen the car. Mine is probably a 305 honestly... I have a written contract and even saved the CL ad in case he lied I can take matters from there. I don't like people who lie about things to sell it.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...code-need.html
hey thats my post!!! anyone wanna help me out there???? lol j/k im not tryin to jack ur thread here but yeah the number should be on the back drivers side of the block its hard to see and probably dirty i had to clean mine for ten minutes before i could read anything... and it will be longer than just 808 like mine is 3970010... and theres also the suffix code on the front of the motor passenger side right below the head behind the alternator again hard to see but it will give u a better idea of what the motor was originally built for... and my post wasnt idiotic it just bothers me when someone asks for help then gets rude about it or doesnt wanna take the advice...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 AM

The group that strives for our stock et times...yet talks massive ****. lol...
Like I have always said, there's a reason top fuel dragsters use big solid 8 cylinder blocks...
My old performance instructor told me the fastest civic in the world has to trailer about 3-5 engines with them as they don't last but around 1 pass before they have to change it for another run for competitions. Rofl
Never actually looked into this claim haha
id believe it... i mean putting that much stress on such a tiny motor has to break alot of parts
Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

Check this site for the locations of casting numbers:

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...oding-help.asp

You can go to www.mortec.com and do the command "ctrl+f" (find on your keyboard) and type in your casting number and it should show you what motor you have. I believe I did this with my block, but I don't remember the number.

Edit:
The Mortec site seems to be having issues, and doesnt work...
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

hey thats my post!!! anyone wanna help me out there???? lol j/k im not tryin to jack ur thread here but yeah the number should be on the back drivers side of the block its hard to see and probably dirty i had to clean mine for ten minutes before i could read anything... and it will be longer than just 808 like mine is 3970010... and theres also the suffix code on the front of the motor passenger side right below the head behind the alternator again hard to see but it will give u a better idea of what the motor was originally built for... and my post wasnt idiotic it just bothers me when someone asks for help then gets rude about it or doesnt wanna take the advice...
I found another site that may be useful that lists some block casting numbers.

Zachkuby, your casting number came up with this:

1968 - 3970010 - 327
1969-79 - 3970010 - 350 - car, truck, Vette

Heres that site if Mortec isnt working:

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bradley23150

1968 - 3970010 - 327

And this is the main reason getting the number off the block isnt going to tell you much. They used the same block for a lot of different cars. The head casting number is still the best way to tell what that engine is.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
And this is the main reason getting the number off the block isnt going to tell you much. They used the same block for a lot of different cars. The head casting number is still the best way to tell what that engine is.
This is the number I found under my valve cover:

I can't tell what type of engine that number is for..anyone know?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:35 PM

yeah from the casting number i got the same thing but from the head numbers i got 1979 267 or 350 heads... and from the suffix code on the front i got a 1979 350 for a b body so i would assume an impala or something of that sort.... im just thankin god its not a 305 like i suspected cause thats what ppl that are friends with the po kept telling me that it was a 305....
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

14101083 350 285HP, or 300HP, Crate Motor, 1.94-1.5, 72º intake bolts

Looks promising.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

Heres the site for head casting #'s:

http://www.kendrick-auto.com/chevrol..._number_re.htm
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
I would have to disagree here. The block casting number is a good representation of what the engine is, and I would say the head castings are what I would trust the least. Its very very common to swap heads on motors, but you cant exactly swap numbers off of blocks. I will agree, however that the engines casting isnt going to tell you exactly what it is (Like the above example) but it will certainly tell you what it isnt.

Looks promising.
I don't even know what that means lol. (Aside from the hp).

Looks promising.
i did a search and came up with the same results looks like you got some decent potential there..from what ive found on those heads with a little work you can get em to flow pretty good
Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM

i did a search and came up with the same results looks like you got some decent potential there..from what ive found on those heads with a little work you can get em to flow pretty good
Thank you What do you mean by flow?..

Do you think it's possible with the engine that it's listed as (if that's the case), with it being fully bored out and with shaved heads that it could get up to 370hp?..I still don't know if this is the same engine the 2xPO built.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM

1968 - 3970010 - 327

Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

Looks promising.
So what all could I do with this engine?..is it pretty good? (I'm really clueless). It sounds awesome when it runs, even with the problems it has, but I want to know how it's going to sound and perform once everything is fixed (especially with the new spark plug wires so the cylinders can fire correctly).
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Thank you What do you mean by flow?..

Do you think it's possible with the engine that it's listed as (if that's the case), with it being fully bored out and with shaved heads that it could get up to 370hp?..I still don't know if this is the same engine the 2xPO built.
the more efficiently heads can flow air into the cylinder the more power you can make cause in the end thats what power comes down to a mix of gas and oxygen and the engines ability to make it go boom and harness that power..... what kinf of tranny/rear end does the car have cause i mean you can have a supercharged 383 pushin 600 hp but without decent tranny and rear end that 600 hp means nothing.. a lot more comes into play than just the engines numbers
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM

the more efficiently heads can flow air into the cylinder the more power you can make cause in the end thats what power comes down to a mix of gas and oxygen and the engines ability to make it go boom and harness that power..... what kinf of tranny/rear end does the car have cause i mean you can have a supercharged 383 pushin 600 hp but without decent tranny and rear end that 600 hp means nothing.. a lot more comes into play than just the engines numbers
I honestly have no idea what kind of transmission I have..how could I check?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM

is it auto or standard? well either way it could be anything since it was a uti car they could have swapped god knows what into it my guess if the trannys stock automatic:700r4 or if its a manual 5 speed:t5 ...to be 100% honest with you transmissions are one of my weak points so someone else will have to tell you how to tell what it is if not stock
Old 06-28-2010, 03:36 PM

is it auto or standard? well either way it could be anything since it was a uti car they could have swapped god knows what into it my guess if the trannys stock automatic:700r4 or if its a manual 5 speed:t5 ...to be 100% honest with you transmissions are one of my weak points so someone else will have to tell you how to tell what it is if not stock
Well, even though I can't verify what the PO (the guy I did buy it from) says, he told me that it had a new transmission..it could be anything. It's a 4-speed automatic, that's about all I know.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

I thought the numbers were on the driver side of the block at the back? Lol
My bad, I shouold have said drivers side.

To the original poster, heres what your looking for:
Attached Thumbnails What kind of Edelbrock engine is this?-block.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

I think those are basically TPI L98 heads. They still suck for flow. I think they even flowed less than smog heads. But, it gives the promise of there being a 350 under them with possibly a roller cam.

With some porting, they can be made into decent performing heads. If it has a roller, then you actually ahve a decent base for a buildup, provided the engine is still in good shape.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Well, even though I can't verify what the PO (the guy I did buy it from) says, he told me that it had a new transmission..it could be anything. It's a 4-speed automatic, that's about all I know.
Its probably a 700-R4 or 4L60. I dont know how lock-up is being handled.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM

So what all could I do with this engine?..is it pretty good? (I'm really clueless). It sounds awesome when it runs, even with the problems it has, but I want to know how it's going to sound and perform once everything is fixed (especially with the new spark plug wires so the cylinders can fire correctly).
Bump..

What all can I expect out of this engine?..and what can I do to increase my gas mileage? (I'm only getting about 10mpg right now..). I would kill for 20, or hell, even 15..I just want this thing to stop wasting so much fuel.

Is this a pretty powerful base engine as it is?..and what all could I do to increase hp? (Can I get an air intake on this engine?). Excuse my ignorance, thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Bump..

(Can I get an air intake on this engine?). Excuse my ignorance, thanks.
are u being serious? ive read through this thred like 3 times now and im sorry no offense but i know clueless women that know more about cars is this just a big joke or wtf is goin on here????
call the cable guy order the speed channel and watch it for a week pay attention from what u know now it will be a mind blowing experience
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Supreme Member

are u being serious? ive read through this thred like 3 times now and im sorry no offense but i know clueless women that know more about cars is this just a big joke or wtf is goin on here????
call the cable guy order the speed channel and watch it for a week pay attention from what u know now it will be a mind blowing experience
We all start somewhere. You really need to stop posting in this thread and stop being so rude to him. He is obviously trying to learn about these motors, and better his car, and all you post is negativity. If you have nothing to say that will benefit anyone, than stop.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Bump..

What all can I expect out of this engine?..and what can I do to increase my gas mileage? (I'm only getting about 10mpg right now..). I would kill for 20, or hell, even 15..I just want this thing to stop wasting so much fuel.

Is this a pretty powerful base engine as it is?..and what all could I do to increase hp? (Can I get an air intake on this engine?). Excuse my ignorance, thanks.
Not sure what exactly your asking here? You mean something like a cold-air intake, if so, don't bother, it really wont benefit anything at this point.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Not sure what exactly your asking here? You mean something like a cold-air intake, if so, don't bother, it really wont benefit anything at this point.
Well, I was thinking about something like this:

But if there's no benefit then I guess I won't get one. I just want something that will help my engine push out some more horsepower..and the chrome would look nice under the hood
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM

We all start somewhere. You really need to stop posting in this thread and stop being so rude to him. He is obviously trying to learn about these motors, and better his car, and all you post is negativity. If you have nothing to say that will benefit anyone, than stop.
u must not have read the entire thread cause ive posted 4 or 5 posts at least in this thread trying to help the guy out and like i said i meant no offense by what i said and i was being dead serious i think he needs to become friends with google youtube and the speed channel thats how i learn cause i have nobody to teach me and cant afford school either that or i just dig in and learn as i go but by the things he says it looks to me like hes just playing around but hey whatever you say i could be wrong it just seems that way to me
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM

u must not have read the entire thread cause ive posted 4 or 5 posts at least in this thread trying to help the guy out and like i said i meant no offense by what i said and i was being dead serious i think he needs to become friends with google youtube and the speed channel thats how i learn cause i have nobody to teach me and cant afford school either that or i just dig in and learn as i go but by the things he says it looks to me like hes just playing around but hey whatever you say i could be wrong it just seems that way to me
I have no interest in wasting time, I just never learned any of this stuff before..I don't know what kind of air intakes can go on my engine, I barely know anything that's compatible with what I have in regards to auto parts..almost everything I have is after market so I don't know where to begin. This is my first car and I know a lot more now than I did 6 months ago..and back then it was virtually nothing at all. I don't really watch tv, but I've watched stuff on youtube quite a bit..most people I know haven't even popped open a hood to work on a car before..so I've never really gotten the chance to be taught this stuff from someone else.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM

the first step is to identify exactly what parts are on this thing.. now u can either pull all the numbers you can find and do some research or you can tear into it an do a rebuild like im doing but if its your only car and your means of transportation your best bet is to pull numbers and do research and collect parts for a while and then take a weekend off where you wont need to drive and have someone help you sort it all out im sure there is someone on this forum that lives near you that knows what there doing that wouldnt mind lending a hand or hell just have em come over and supervise and let you know if your doin something wrong thats what i do i have a couple older guys from around the way watch me and tell me what im doing right/and wrong...... like yesterday i had never torn into an engine past the intake today i have a bare block and a box full of parts that im sorting through deciding what to keep and what to throw away and im gonna build my motor myself
Old 06-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Despite all the hype and gloom flying around, just know you have the best stock thirdgen heads. They're not as good as Vortecs by any means, but they were your best case scenario for a modern factory iron head that wasnt vortecs. Those are L98 heads - they may suck compared to LS1's and aftermarket aluminum heads and so forth, but in 91 they were the bee's knees for factory heads unless you got corvette L98 heads (aluminum). A good intake/cam setup will make that thing fly - those 1990 cars tend to be a lot lighter than the 91-92 cars, so I bet it has a lot of potential.

It's definitely not stock to that car, so someone did swap an engine - most likely a 350 since those heads are stock on a 350. Im sure people put 350 TPI heads on 305 motors, but I dont think it's exactly common.

I think if the cam is stock, and you got a well-tuned carb and a good flowing intake, you might be pushing 250-270 hp or so compared to the TPI's stock 245hp - you have a good chance of being faster than an IROC unless you still have the 2.73 rear end gearing.

And if those heads are stock to that block then you have a roller block - very nice. There's a lot of potential there if you choose to go that route. If you have the car up in teh air any time soon, look at the crankshaft flange at the torque converter (there may be a dust cover on blocking the view of it) and see if it's completely round or whether it's squared off on one side. If it's round, it's most likely a 1 pc RMS roller block, basically an L98 with a carb.

I would have to disagree here. The block casting number is a good representation of what the engine is, and I would say the head castings are what I would trust the least. Its very very common to swap heads on motors, but you cant exactly swap numbers off of blocks. I will agree, however that the engines casting isnt going to tell you exactly what it is (Like the above example) but it will certainly tell you what it isnt.
They used those 010 blocks in damn near everything for a long time. A lot of block casting numbers you cant even tell whether it's 2 or 4 bolt main by the casting number - but you would have a good guess if you actually knew what car it came out of - but in a lot of cases you dont, at least not from the casting number.

To me the casting number is to tell whether it's a 350 or a 305, to figure out exactly what it is, the heads tell you more. The heads are more important to determine power potentional and so forth anyway. Doesnt matter what vehicle it came from if you know the heads are good or not and what displacement it is. And it IS true that anyone can swap heads... but I just dont think it's as common as you think it is. There arent really that many people with the desire or knowledge to tear into an engine and do a headswap - we are the minority here. That said usually you can tell from looking at the car or the drivetrain the odds that a previous owner was a legit hot rodder who thought nothing of tossing heads on and off different cars.

Regardless, the heads and cam and intake are what make power, if you know what heads you have you can make a much more informed guess about what that motor actually is, but if all you have is a casting number all you can say is it was built between 1967 and a 1974 and is a 302, 327, or a 350 and may be 2 or 4 bolt mains....

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 06-28-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

I did, in fact read the entire thread, and have tried to be helpful on the 2nd page. It just seems to me that whenever you posted, it had some sort of "attitude" about it. I do see your trying to be helpful, but not everyone built the cars they drive, some still have to learn.

Infernal, you have a good point. Just that these cars are getting so old, and exchange hands so many times, that you never really know WHAT frankenstein engine is in there. I agree, though that most people install long blocks that they find, rather than doing what I did, which is buy practically every single part seperately than create one motor.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM

I wonder what kind of mileage I should really be getting out of this thing..and I wish I knew someone with a dyno so I could see how much hp this is really putting out lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM

Car: '86 Z28, '91 RS
Engine: 305ci, 305ci
Transmission: TH200c (no kidding), TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

take it to a drag strip.. that's a good way to tell how much power it has.

Nobody likes an "I told ya so" but man 2 pages ago we were trying to tell you about the mystery motor. Luckily for you though it's NOT a crap van motor, at least not the heads (and that's what makes all the power in a motor). Iron L98 are good heads IMO, I agree with everything Infernal Vortex said about them. They are great heads to port too.

People have replied to the gas mileage problem it's just a matter of researching and seeing what they are talking about. Since the PO did away with the computer you have lost TCC lockup on the transmission. If they didn't rig up another way for the TCC to function your transmission will not live long and your gas mileage will suffer. Judging from the PO's handy work I'm going to say that carb is out of tune, this means more research for you; read up on how to tune that edelbrock carb.

Also the ignition system being screwed from the arching will cause bad mileage too.

Driving around with your foot stuck through the carb causes bad mileage too..

set the timing with a light, and tune the carb then go from there.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doom86
take it to a drag strip.. that's a good way to tell how much power it has.

Nobody likes an "I told ya so" but man 2 pages ago we were trying to tell you about the mystery motor. Luckily for you though it's NOT a crap van motor, at least not the heads (and that's what makes all the power in a motor). Iron L98 are good heads IMO, I agree with everything Infernal Vortex said about them. They are great heads to port too.

People have replied to the gas mileage problem it's just a matter of researching and seeing what they are talking about. Since the PO did away with the computer you have lost TCC lockup on the transmission. If they didn't rig up another way for the TCC to function your transmission will not live long and your gas mileage will suffer. Judging from the PO's handy work I'm going to say that carb is out of tune, this means more research for you; read up on how to tune that edelbrock carb.

Also the ignition system being screwed from the arching will cause bad mileage too.

Driving around with your foot stuck through the carb causes bad mileage too..

set the timing with a light, and tune the carb then go from there.

What exactly is arching?

I retimed my ignition but I still need to get that timing light so it's set perfectly. I want to pull the engine out completely so I can tell what kind of block I have, I would take the car to a drag strip but I need to get some new rear tires, mine are in pretty bad shape lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi

man thats pretty dam rude of you, everyone starts off somewhere. hell just less then a yr ago i didnt know squat and while i still dont know everything, i know a hell alot more then i did. and atleast he's asking questions, and is going learn something.

to the OP, wanted to say there is not ashame in asking and from reading abit it seems your slowly getting more knowledgable and I hope some a-holes havent scared you off as you seem like a good guy.

iv only read bits and pieces thru the thread but if not already done, do a FULL tune up and overcheck everthing that can affect mpg's. it could be something so simple or it could be something thats a big job.

and once you figure out what engine you actually have and get any issues fixed, first mods should be if your strickly looking for going faster, k&n air filter full exhuast (i'll go with magnaflow catback,hooker 2055's (includes a y-pipe to), and a magnaflow hi-flow cat. And if not done already, weigh reductions, i know theres more but this should give you an basic idea and just look around on here and your fine plenty easy stuff to do.

but i would be more concerned about safety/handiling/power prep. Defintly make sure you have good tires, good brakes (if your a go fast man dont use stock brakes PLEASE!), make sure suspension components are up to date and mine wanna swap to some iroc suspension parts, and make sure you tranny/rear end isnt gonna snap/break so if there stock plan on rebuilding/modding the tranny and replacing the rear end. also weight reductions will help in basically all area's handiling,braking,peformance,mileage. Also if your not mechanically inclined, i see no problem in taking the car to a shop to get done (Well other then spending more money lol) and air filters are easy as pie. Well i hope i got everything, Good luck!

also please, no one get on my case because i put some info down in front of him to help him out other then him searching.

Last edited by iroc stangs; 06-29-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

A "Ram-air" setup really wont help his engine at all.

A proper tune will wake his motor up more, and provide a little better gas mileage, but you have to figure, with an engine like that, you cant "always" have the best of both worlds.

Wish you were closer, I would help you out.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi

A "Ram-air" setup really wont help his engine at all.

A proper tune will wake his motor up more, and provide a little better gas mileage, but you have to figure, with an engine like that, you cant "always" have the best of both worlds.

Wish you were closer, I would help you out.
oh duh! wow im used to tpi engines wow lol i was thinking he had tpi obvisouly...

Quick Reply: What kind of Edelbrock engine is this?