Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

issue with rough idle and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 camaro rs 3.1 v6
Engine: 3.1 v6
issue with rough idle and stalling

i bought this car as a project car back in august of 09 knowing that there were quite a few problems that needed to be fixed but it ran like a champ. it is a 1990 camaro rs with the 3.1 v6, i will start from the begining once i bought it it was running great and then i was getting a thump when i would take off i ended up having to change the trany mount which was easy and only took 10 minutes i drove it from maine to new york when i moved with no problems once i got to ny i went to change the oil and the air filter but it didnt even have an air filter ok so i put one in and changed the oil ran much better. then about a month later after using the car as a daily driver the alternator died so i replaced the dead one with a brand new ac delco alternator then it would start but it runs really rough so i changed the plug wires because they were cracked and the car ran better but it runs rough only in park if i put it in gear the oil pressure sky rockets and it stalls the only thing that i can see personally that is wrong now is that i need to change the vacumm lines i tried to change those and while pulling the line off of the brake booster i broke the booster so i need to rplace that but is whats weird is that it actually runs better since that happened the other lines are cracked and old but no real leaks they will be changed asap but what else could i be having problems with i need this thing back on the road as soon as i can get it there.