Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Timing, advance or retard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010 | 06:28 PM

Car: 1987 Gta Trans Am
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: 3.47 02 SS rear end
Timing, advance or retard?

I have a 383 and im not sure what exactly im running in timing. i didnt use a timing light this time, just went by ear for now. Its running better than it ever has before after the carb rebuild, new distributor, wires ect. But everytime i hook a vaccum guage to the large port on the carb, it shows either a vacuum leak or late valve timing. Im positive its not valve timing issues, so it must be a vacuum leak. That was the whole reason for rebuilding the carb, but its still there somewhere. Where should i look next for the leak?

Now, the car is running great, but at say 4k rpms, i can hear crackling in the exaust. Sort of like gas exploding in the headers. Should i advance the timing or back it off? Its only idling at about 650 rpm so if i back it off anymore it starts to run very rough. Thanks alot guys.

Oh and one more question. I need a new carb, i know, but one of my floats is slightly bent on the left side of the carb (downward). It was bent when i took the edelbrock 600cfm apart and ive tried to get it as close as possible to the one thats not bent. How will this effect the performance of the carb until i can get another one?
Old 01-30-2012 | 06:52 PM

Re: Timing, advance or retard?

Originally Posted by Ilike2stroke383
I have a 383 and im not sure what exactly im running in timing. i didnt use a timing light this time, just went by ear for now. Its running better than it ever has before after the carb rebuild, new distributor, wires ect. But everytime i hook a vaccum guage to the large port on the carb, it shows either a vacuum leak or late valve timing. Im positive its not valve timing issues, so it must be a vacuum leak. That was the whole reason for rebuilding the carb, but its still there somewhere. Where should i look next for the leak?

Now, the car is running great, but at say 4k rpms, i can hear crackling in the exaust. Sort of like gas exploding in the headers. Should i advance the timing or back it off? Its only idling at about 650 rpm so if i back it off anymore it starts to run very rough. Thanks alot guys.

Oh and one more question. I need a new carb, i know, but one of my floats is slightly bent on the left side of the carb (downward). It was bent when i took the edelbrock 600cfm apart and ive tried to get it as close as possible to the one thats not bent. How will this effect the performance of the carb until i can get another one?

is it maybe the mechanical advance is too advanced?
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

spray down the intake and around the whole motor with carb cleaner and check for leaks that way. Check that timing with a light. You need to know whats going on and where its at.
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:34 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro sport coupe
Engine: 5.0(H/O) 305 carb'd
Transmission: TCI St. Fitr stge 2 700r4 man.valve
Axle/Gears: stock gears, Limited Slip

not sure if im right but stock timing is 8degrees right? i got mine set at 12deg but hey i could be wrong, he did say its a 383.
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Your gonna have to see where it is now with a timing light. 8 sounds ok.
Old 01-31-2012 | 10:57 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro sport coupe
Engine: 5.0(H/O) 305 carb'd
Transmission: TCI St. Fitr stge 2 700r4 man.valve
Axle/Gears: stock gears, Limited Slip

Originally Posted by ninetyone
Your gonna have to see where it is now with a timing light. 8 sounds ok.

ninetyone, are you confirming my statement/question bout 8deg being the proper timing?

Then of course if you want to play with the dist. and up your timing 12deg is as high as i would go, thats plenty of an increase.