Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

wont even crank anymore

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5 stick
wont even crank anymore

Ok I have a wiring disaster in my car right now, the previous owner really messed this car up. When I bought it, it would take a few key turns to get the car to actually crank but after 3 or 4 tries itll turn over and start.

Just recently I was out there for about 3.5 hours trying to figure out why it was cranking but not starting, turned out to be a fuse that kept blowing, I replaced it with a higher fuse to see if it'll start and it worked, after I got it to start, I pulled the fuse and let the car sit for a few days.

I went out today because I have to tow the car behind it, I popped in the correct number fuse and instead of blowing, it melted the plastic from that fuse and the taillight fuse. I pulled the fuse and checked the wiring, replaced with another fuse but still wont turn over at all.

I have no idea what the previous owner did with the wiring but it is horrible.

any tips is greatly appreciated
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Richmond 3.73 posi w/ discs
Re: wont even crank anymore

Sounds like something is grounding. You could have an exposed wire that's touching metal somewhere and causing that problem. Your options are go to a junk yard and find another wiring harness or try to find the issue on yours. Get a haynes manual or chilton, they have decent enough wiring diagrams that you could find the issue.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM

thanks buddy, ill get to it and report back
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM

i pulled my engine codes and it came back with 53, voltage too high... possible I blew my ecm since the fuse melted and didnt blow?

I checked my fuses for power and the crank isnt getting power on acc and even when I turn the key to try to start it. The second one that isnt getting power is a 5 fuse (the one that melted), I believe its called inst lps.

the inst lps is the same fuse that melted and melted my taillight fuse.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 AM

I hotwired it by touching the crank fuse with direct power.

I believe vats is disabling my ignition, whenever I turn my key, the security light pops on.

While searching the net and playing with my car I discovered my starter enable switch was bypassed.

Searching my car, I found many old reciepts and items from the 90's and came to think the car may have been sitting for some time, the original owner more then likely lost the original key and sold the car, the next owner probably got a new key without vats, and attempted to disable vats.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 PM

BS BS BS BS BS BS BS, Im so angry. I sat here for hours trying to put together 15 different resistors so i could see which will enable the ignition. after 3 hours of sorting through 500 different resistors and only getting 4 together, I decide to go out and try those 4 and continue tomorrow. I go out with the resistors, pop the key in without wiring in any resistor and bam, it starts right up.

I was out there yesterday from 11am till 6pm diagnosing it, from 10am till 2pm diagnosing and researching today and from 4pm till 8pm sorting through resistors for this BS to happen.

Since the car starts up now, I'm not able to figure out the correct resistance for the ignition to get this stupid thing bypassed correctly.