Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

a few newbie questions about fuel lines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt
a few newbie questions about fuel lines.

Hey everybody, I have a 91 Trans Am vert which was driven in New England winters before I got it last summer and as a result, my fuel lines look pretty ugly. My plan is to replace all of them, most likely with factory OEM rather than stainless steel since it's cheaper and I won't be driving this car in the salt months any longer.

My engine is a 305 TPI

Now my questions are:

How do I relieve the fuel pressure in the lines?

How are the rubber flex hoses secured to the sending unit on the tank? I was told that they're removable and I won't have to replace my sending unit as a result. Is that true? Since the rubber flex lines are permanently fitted to the lines themselves.

Anybody got a diagram of the fuel lines and where they go?

And what do each of the lines do? I know that the main line sends the fuel to the fuel rails but that's about it.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 02-23-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 PM

Car: Blue 84 z28/Cyber 2010ss/rs
Engine: Dart headed, 12:1 355- 510/530 cam
Transmission: TKO 600 Lakewood Bell
Axle/Gears: Richmond 410 Spooled
Re: a few newbie questions about fuel lines.

go out and get ur self a haynes book or some other kind of manual.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

The rubber line is crimped to the main hard line and threads into the hard line coming from the tank. The others are all rubber sections with hose clamps.

Relieving the pressure is easy, just undo the bulkhead connector and crank the engine. This will relieve the pressure. After remove the battery connection.

The pressure line is the only one w/ o ring seal screw connections, the return line, vent line and evap line are all connected with hose clamps.

They are easy to figure out, the shortest one is the vent line, it goes to the white pressure valve near the hose connections. The evap line goes to the canister and the return runs along with the pressure line.

Here are some pics that may help, I did modify the pressure line, between the rubber hose and sender hard line the stuff is series plumbed to a 2nd fuel pump, disregard that. The rubber hose w/ the yellow mark normally mates up with the top right connection that now has a black AN hose end and an alu hex shaped adapter in it. This is for the additional fuel pump.
The white vent valve is also visible.

Tank with hard lines

You can see the rubber line w/ the o ring connection in the lower right hand corner here

The connector with the FEU tag is the fuel pump el. connector that you should undo to relief the pressure.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Car: 1989 camaro iroc-z28
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4-shift kit, moderate stall
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Borg Warner

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
The rubber line is crimped to the main hard line and threads into the hard line coming from the tank. The others are all rubber sections with hose clamps.

Relieving the pressure is easy, just undo the bulkhead connector and crank the engine. This will relieve the pressure. After remove the battery connection.

The pressure line is the only one w/ o ring seal screw connections, the return line, vent line and evap line are all connected with hose clamps.

They are easy to figure out, the shortest one is the vent line, it goes to the white pressure valve near the hose connections. The evap line goes to the canister and the return runs along with the pressure line.

Here are some pics that may help, I did modify the pressure line, between the rubber hose and sender hard line the stuff is series plumbed to a 2nd fuel pump, disregard that. The rubber hose w/ the yellow mark normally mates up with the top right connection that now has a black AN hose end and an alu hex shaped adapter in it. This is for the additional fuel pump.
The white vent valve is also visible.

Tank with hard lines

You can see the rubber line w/ the o ring connection in the lower right hand corner here

The connector with the FEU tag is the fuel pump el. connector that you should undo to relief the pressure.
Twin Turbo, Where did you get the charcoal filter( or white vent valve) from? It looks pretty new so you had to of replaced it? I am having trouble with my 89 IROC and the fuel tank building some pretty extreme pressure during outside temp changes. thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

It's my old one that I cleaned. I wouldn't know where to get one. I have some spares I grabbed in a junk yard.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Car: 1989 camaro iroc-z28
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4-shift kit, moderate stall
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Borg Warner

Oh ok, I actually just got done taking mine off and cleaning it and it looks pretty new now haha I ended up finding that the hard tubing going to the vent valve was bent from the PO bottoming the car out by what i can guess, looks to be kinked so i kinda bent it back and hopefully that will fix my pressure problem in the gas tank. thanks for the speedy reply though!